Re: I need help with downloading comics using Unison for Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, May 14, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian Nickell wrote:
    > I've been trying to figure out how to download files using Unison for
    > Mac OSX with no luck.

    Unison is a proprietary payware usenet OS X client with support for
    handling binaries including par2, .nzb support, and mp3 streaming. I'm
    not a Mac user, I have to look these things up.

    > I've asked folks repeatedly on
    > alt.binaries.comics.dcp and no one seems to want to help me.

    a.b.c.d is a binary group loaded with 'proprietary'/copyrighted comics
    scans which are in a format peculiar to the comics ripping people, such as
    ..cbr and .cbz, mostly .cbr where .cbr is just another extension for a .rar
    file and .cbz is just another extension for a .zip file. When I looked
    into the binary group, all the multiparts were yEnc/ed.

    There is ware configured specifically for the purpose of viewing such
    scanned comics, which enables the user to view the strips by frame without
    preliminary decompressiong; that is, the viewer works directly with the
    compressed .cbr or .cbz file. Classically such Win viewers were CDisplay
    and CDisplayEx which are no longer supported.

    According to the wiki, OS X viewers for this format are such as FFView,
    Jomic, ComicBookLover, and Xee. Mac users are generally accustomed to
    paying for any kind of software they use, but it looks like there is some
    freeware here.

    > Now that
    > I've found the help desk I'm hoping someone is kind enough to help me.
    > I need a complete crash course in how to do this. I'm able to post
    > messages and retrieve messages but that's about it. Any help would be
    > MUCH appreciated.

    Altho' the wiki doesn't say and the unison site doesn't say, a yEnc site
    sez that Unison supports yEnc decoding
    http://www.geocities.com/zenwebpage/yEncFAQ.htm

    > If you don't mind (those of you who are kind enough to help) please
    > email the how to directly to my email. In case it doesn't show the
    > address is

    You are really a newby if you are asking people to email you. If you post
    a message to a newsgroup, that's where you go to see who answered. It is
    rude to request a reply by email

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html Why you
    shouldn't ask for E-mail responses on Usenet

    > I beg of you. Please. Help me! I've been at this for months and I
    > haven't gotten anywhere.

    As a general rule, people who are going to delve into the shadier side of
    binary newsgroups, which would include handling/ using/ copyrighted
    material, are expected to come to the table with some experience and/or
    the ability to dig out their own information.

    If you are dabbling in that field, then you need to learn how to help
    yourself. Search on your newsgroup's name. Here's an example of a site
    http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/what-is-altbinariescomicsdcp
    ..html or http://snipr.com/hzbaa What is: alt.binaries.comics.dcp? --
    The complete DCP Newsgroup FAQs.

    --