Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, May 24, 2011.

  1. On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:21:16 AM UTC-5, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    > >> Film SLRs: Started 1861 (patent), 1884 (commercial production).
    > >> Reflex mirrors in camera obscuras (or is that camera obscurae?) are
    > >> much older (first known mention 1676).

    > >> So we have 335, 150 and 127 years since the beginning.

    > > Film SLRs weren't the slightest bit important until well after
    > > the Exakta, which was around 1936 I think.

    > [...]
    > > They didn't become the primary photographic machine until the 1960s.

    > I don't disagree --- it just took a while for them to become
    > dominant. The same is true for digital ...

    Point.

    I dunno, it seems like reaching to include things that people made
    when they had no idea they were working towards the SLR camera. But
    it's true that each innovation builds on the entire history before it.

    > > And all of that was much closer to the beginning of photography;
    > > early examples have a historic interest that no DSLR will have.

    > That probably depends a lot on who will be having the
    > historic interest. Most computer museums don't have an
    > analytical engine, even though it's much closer to the
    > beginning of computing than digital computers. :)

    Partly because so few of them were built. To the point where the
    Science Museum in London had to build a new one from original plans to
    be able to have one on display. I don't think I have any of my photos
    of it online, though.

    > >> The first digital camera was build 1975, with first patents
    > >> 1968, and a first commercial digital cameras in 1990.

    > > I've got digital photos of myself (and a friend) from no later than
    > > 1989; a friend had an early digital camera, perhaps a sony,
    > > top lay with for a while.

    > Digital camera with digital storage or a video-singleframe
    > system?

    Digital camera with digital storage. I've got several photos shot
    with it in a friend's basement in Massachusetts, and I moved away from
    there in 1985, and was back visiting in 1989, which sets pretty much a
    solid limit on how late it could have been. I remember it as storing
    directly to floppy, but I may be confusing that with having been given
    my copies of the pictures on a floppy. It definitely wasn't tethered
    when shooting, and definitely didn't "look like" a video camera.
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 24, 2011

  2. David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:21:16 AM UTC-5, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >> That probably depends a lot on who will be having the
    >> historic interest. Most computer museums don't have an
    >> analytical engine, even though it's much closer to the
    >> beginning of computing than digital computers. :)

    > Partly because so few of them were built. To the point where the
    > Science Museum in London had to build a new one from original plans to
    > be able to have one on display. I don't think I have any of my photos
    > of it online, though.

    I think you are thinking of the differential enginge.

    As far as I know, no analytical engine has ever been built,
    though parts (Mill and printer) have been built.

    >> Digital camera with digital storage or a video-singleframe
    >> system?

    > Digital camera with digital storage. I've got several photos shot
    > with it in a friend's basement in Massachusetts, and I moved away from
    > there in 1985, and was back visiting in 1989, which sets pretty much a
    > solid limit on how late it could have been. I remember it as storing
    > directly to floppy, but I may be confusing that with having been given
    > my copies of the pictures on a floppy.

    There are "still video floppy disks" which store an analog
    video still frame (i.e. 2 half frames in normal mode, 25 images
    per disk). That would be a video-singleframe system.

    > It definitely wasn't tethered
    > when shooting,

    There were models with inbuild storage.

    > and definitely didn't "look like" a video camera.

    Early Sony Mavica (MAgnetic VIdeo CAmera) looked rather like
    film cameras, but were video technology.

    Here's another example, a Panasonic prototype from 1984:
    http://www.digicamhistory.com/Pansonic proto 84.jpg

    And a Canon, 1986:
    http://www.digicamhistory.com/Canon RC-701 Still Video Camera.jpg
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/history/canon_story/1976_1986/1976_1986.html
    (at the bottom)
    Also a still video camera ... and doesn't look like a video camera
    at all.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 25, 2011

  3. David Dyer-Bennet

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 26, 1:34 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 May 2011 22:47:37 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    > >> Partly because so few of them were built.  To the point where the
    > >> Science Museum in London had to build a new one from original plans to
    > >> be able to have one on display.  I don't think I have any of my photos
    > >> of it online, though.

    > >I think you are thinking of the differential enginge.

    > >As far as I know, no analytical engine has ever been built,
    > >though parts (Mill and printer) have been built.

    > A complete engine has been built. Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine

    There's is an another engine the Analytical Engine which hasn't yet
    been built which was also proposed by Babbage IIRC.
    I can't remember the details but someone was asking for pledges of
    $1M, it was to be powered by steam
    and would have been the size of a small house. The only details I
    remember was that it was on a TWiT podcast.

    http://www.pledgebank.com/babbage
    Whisky-dave, May 26, 2011
  4. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 May 2011 22:47:37 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>I think you are thinking of the differential enginge.

    >>As far as I know, no analytical engine has ever been built,
    >>though parts (Mill and printer) have been built.

    > A complete engine has been built. See
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine

    That's the differential engine. (or difference engine)

    The analytical engine could be programmed.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 26, 2011