Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2011.

  1. Neil Harrington <> wrote:

    > electronic viewfinder in a G1 or G2 makes it far easier to check focus, by
    > offering 5x or 10x magnification. You won't get that in any optical
    > viewfinder.

    There are no optical magnifications, after all ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2011

  2. Neil Harrington <> wrote:
    > "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote in message
    >> Neil Harrington <> wrote:

    >>> electronic viewfinder in a G1 or G2 makes it far easier to check focus,
    >>> by
    >>> offering 5x or 10x magnification. You won't get that in any optical
    >>> viewfinder.

    >> There are no optical magnifications, after all ...

    > Not to my knowledge in any SLR-type viewfinder there aren't, and that's the
    > assumed alternative here.

    There are magnifiers you can add, and there are angle finders with
    switchable magnifications. True, the magnification isn't 10x,
    usually, but then you aren't looking at a 800x600 (*3 subpixels ==
    1,4 Mdot) or worse screen.

    If more magnification was generally needed for optical viewfinders,
    I'd assume you'd find commercial offerings.

    Of course, most any modern camera does have live view and a
    monitor, and manual focussing with magnification sort of implies
    the framing not be done during focussing ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 17, 2011

  3. Neil Harrington <> wrote:
    > "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote in message
    >> Neil Harrington <> wrote:

    >> There are magnifiers you can add, and there are angle finders with
    >> switchable magnifications. True, the magnification isn't 10x,

    > Right, usually 2x or so. That's quite a bit short.

    3x isn't that hard to find, though I don't know the quality.

    >> usually, but then you aren't looking at a 800x600 (*3 subpixels ==
    >> 1,4 Mdot) or worse screen.

    > I would be very surprised if any optical viewfinder, no matter what you do
    > with it, can compare with the 1.4-megadot EVF of a G1 or G2 at 5x or 10x
    > magnification.

    That probably depends on what you are trying to do. For
    slow, careful tripod work, most DSLRs now also offer life
    view. For quick manual framing and focussing --- which was
    the norm back before AF for quick moving scenes --- I guess
    you're lost with the EVF.

    >> If more magnification was generally needed for optical viewfinders,
    >> I'd assume you'd find commercial offerings.

    > Dunno of any, and anyway with a G1 or G2 there's no need for "commercial
    > offerings."

    And the G1 and G2 existed even when there was no digital
    camera, but SLRs existed?

    >> Of course, most any modern camera does have live view and a
    >> monitor, and manual focussing with magnification sort of implies
    >> the framing not be done during focussing .

    > Switching to or from full screen takes a fraction of a second.

    And manual focussing is as easy and fast as turning a ring or
    squeezing a trigger.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 18, 2011