Re: I Miss my Viewfinder !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MC, May 14, 2011.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-05-14 10:13:57 -0700, Doug Bashford <> said:
    >

    > > Well I've put about 1,500 pics thru my
    > > new camera, and I still miss my viewfinder.
    > > A viewfinder was one of my must-have bells,
    > > along with AA bateries, 10X, and so forth.
    > > I got all my bells except the viewfinder.
    > > (I got the $200 Canon sx120is with three-inch
    > > screen and the CHDK supercharger freeware hack.)
    > >
    > > I rationalized, Well the new technology is
    > > probably much brighter. (After all, my old
    > > digicam was more than five years old, one young
    > > clerk never even heard of its SmartMedia card!)
    > > Technically, I'm sure it must be brighter.
    > > But perception-wise, (and what else matters?)
    > > no, it is not. It works well inside and
    > > is still a dog shooting wildflowers and such
    > > outside in direct sunlight. And it's still
    > > OK for shooting family and vacation snapshots
    > > and vistas outside. (And other general things
    > > that I'm VERY happy with...Good Camera!)
    > >
    > > Bottom line? I'd do it again facing the same
    > > choices, but I'd gladly pay $50 more for
    > > a viewfinder. It's kinda a biggy in my book.
    > >
    > > But the industry doesn't see it that way.
    > > And sadly I contributed to that....
    > > ========

    > As much as that SX120is serves its purpose at that price point very
    > well, knowing that you were more comfortable with a viewfinder, I
    > would have sought out an option with one.
    >
    > An LCD can be totally useless in bright overhead Sun, or with the Sun
    > directly behind you. I find the arms length shooting position for
    > the current breed of compact cameras somewhat silly, and only
    > occasionally useful. Consequently, the compact I own to supplement my
    > D300s, is a Canon G11(now G12), and I had also considered a Nikon
    > P7000. My G11 replaced a FijiFilm E900 which also had an OVF,
    > performed well, but had a rather klunky UI which discouraged me from
    > using it much.
    >
    > Both of those cost somewhat more than the additional $50 you were
    > prepared to pay, but IMO the extra cost is well worth it.

    I have always believed that the camera is an extension of the eye. You
    compose with your eyes and having a viewfinder helps your eyes
    normalise the scene in which you are viewing. Having a mini tv screen
    hovering several inches in front of you when trying to compose an image
    is heavily distracting. Don't get me wrong, some flip-out LCD screens
    can be helpful in situations where getting your eye to a viewfinder can
    be awkward, i.e. groundlevel macro. However, these flip-out screens
    should be in addition to a viewfinder.

    MC
    MC, May 14, 2011

  2. MC

    ASCII Guest

    MC wrote:
    >these flip-out screens
    >should be in addition to a viewfinder.

    Another feature of the much maligned P&S
    [Canon SX30-IS]
    Multi-axial flip out TFT screen
    plus an EVF to suit your needs.
    ASCII, May 15, 2011

  3. MC

    ASCII Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    >Nice. However, I wouldn't label the SX30is a "P&S," and you are the
    >first to even bring that label up in this thread.

    I was using the term that gets applied to cameras with non-removable
    lens quite often, in addition to superzoom etc. I do realize that the SX30is
    is a top of the line 'ZLR' and sometimes gets referred to as a bridge camera.
    FWIW: from years of 35mm film photography,
    I'm habitually more used to the EVF style
    even as the Bronica, Zenit, and other TLRs viewed from above.
    Occasionally I use the flip out screen if trying to compose a hand held shot
    with arms extended upward over a crowd.
    Some years back I (just to pick a nit) explained that my then Canon S1-IS
    was Digital, had a Single Lens, and Reflexive (electronic) viewing,
    therefore was a true DSLR <g>
    ASCII, May 15, 2011
  4. MC

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2011-05-14 17:51:40 -0700, ASCII <> said:
    >
    >> MC wrote:
    >>> these flip-out screens
    >>> should be in addition to a viewfinder.

    >> Another feature of the much maligned P&S
    >> [Canon SX30-IS]
    >> Multi-axial flip out TFT screen
    >> plus an EVF to suit your needs.

    >Nice. However, I wouldn't label the SX30is a "P&S," and you are the
    >first to even bring that label up in this thread.
    >The OP, Doug Bashford, is complaining about the lack of viewfinder,
    >OVF, or EVF, for his COMPACT SX120is, a "superzoom compact". So you
    >are comparing apples with oranges. The SX30is is certainly not a
    >compact. Though I suspect he was sold by the 10X zoom capability first.
    >Hence my suggestion of a G11, G12, P7000.

    Please don't suggest the P7000, even in the context of supporting
    Nikon, as it is too slooooow. G11 and G12 are much better. G11 - if
    you can find one - sells at about the same price as the P7000. G12 is
    just a few dollars more. Both are much faster to use than the P7000.

    Personally, I prefer my G9 to all three of them, but that's because I
    value the extra 2 MP (12 MP against 10 MP) and the longer reach of the
    zoom lens, 200mm against 140mm (35mm film equivalent FL). I just paid
    $200 to have it serviced and a new main board fitted - that should
    tell you how much I like it. ;-)
    Bruce, May 15, 2011
  5. MC

    ASCII Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >On Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:50:12 PM UTC-5, ASCII wrote:
    >
    >> Some years back I (just to pick a nit) explained that my then Canon S1-IS
    >> was Digital, had a Single Lens, and Reflexive (electronic) viewing,
    >> therefore was a true DSLR <g>

    >"Reflexive" requires reflection.

    Whether the view is reflected optically by way of some sort of prism
    or electronically with wires,
    it's still bent rather than a straight through sighting.
    ASCII, May 16, 2011
  6. MC

    ASCII Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >ASCII <> wrote:
    >> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >>>"Reflexive" requires reflection.

    >> Whether the view is reflected optically by way of some sort of prism
    >> or electronically with wires,
    >> it's still bent rather than a straight through sighting.

    >So television is reflexive.

    In a sense, yes
    Why don't you go watch it awhile,
    rather than try to topic twist?
    ASCII, May 17, 2011
  7. ASCII <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >>ASCII <> wrote:

    >>> Whether the view is reflected optically by way of some sort of prism
    >>> or electronically with wires,
    >>> it's still bent rather than a straight through sighting.

    >>So television is reflexive.

    > In a sense, yes

    In YOUR sense. The view is reflected electrically (not even
    necessarily electronically) with wires. And wireless.

    > Why don't you go watch it awhile,
    > rather than try to topic twist?

    You're much more entertaining: I love observing people
    digging deep holes. Then they fall in and I throw a couple
    shovels of sand on them.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 24, 2011
  8. MC