Re: I just got my first medium format camera!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J?rg Preddimann, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Andrew McCall <> wrote in message news:<cbvlgs$7g0$1$>...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
    > format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
    > Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
    > close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens hood.
    >
    > I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a T,
    > but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
    > very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
    > like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on the
    > Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
    > loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
    > All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.
    >
    > I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
    > people in here.
    >
    > What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
    > works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?
    >
    > I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
    > exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?
    >
    > Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the camera?
    >
    > Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?
    >
    > I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
    > need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?
    >
    > Thanks for the help in advance!
    >
    > Andrew McCall

    I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
    35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
    are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
    a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
    resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
    amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
    negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
    When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
    express.

    --

    Jörg Preddimann

    J?rg Preddimann, Jul 11, 2004

  2. In article <>, J?rg
    Preddimann <> wrote:

    > Andrew McCall <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Folks,
    > >
    > > After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
    > > format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
    > > Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
    > > close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens hood.
    > >
    > > I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a T,
    > > but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
    > > very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
    > > like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on the
    > > Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
    > > loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
    > > All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.
    > >
    > > I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
    > > people in here.
    > >
    > > What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
    > > works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?
    > >
    > > I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
    > > exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the camera?
    > >
    > > Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?
    > >
    > > I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
    > > need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help in advance!
    > >
    > > Andrew McCall

    > I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
    > 35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
    > are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
    > a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
    > resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
    > amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
    > negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
    > When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
    > express.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jörg Preddimann

    spurious claims with no supporting evidence.

    Devil's Avocado, Jul 11, 2004

  3. J?rg Preddimann

    Jan T Guest

    "Devil's Avocado" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <>, J?rg
    > Preddimann <> wrote:
    >
    > > Andrew McCall <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Folks,
    > > >
    > > > After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
    > > > format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
    > > > Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
    > > > close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens

    hood.

    > > > I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a

    T,
    > > > but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
    > > > very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
    > > > like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on

    the
    > > > Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
    > > > loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
    > > > All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.
    > > >
    > > > I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
    > > > people in here.
    > > >
    > > > What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
    > > > works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?
    > > >
    > > > I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120

    is
    > > > exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the

    camera?

    > > > Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?
    > > >
    > > > I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
    > > > need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the help in advance!
    > > >
    > > > Andrew McCall

    > > I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
    > > 35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
    > > are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
    > > a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
    > > resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
    > > amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
    > > negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
    > > When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
    > > express.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Jörg Preddimann

    > spurious claims with no supporting evidence.

    To tell more: coarse lies.
    The 10.2 mp have to be devided by 3 as the Sigma uses a pixel for each
    color. Read more on http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/sd10.htm, better
    explanation than I can give.
    Anyway, IMHO in your case this alternative is even not worth discussing.

    Back to the topic:
    if you are looking for amazing quality on MF for a budget: look for a Mamiya
    C330 or C220, but look for one with black (=most recent, best coated)
    lenses. Only Hassy users will tell Hassy is better ;-)

    Cable release: just try to fit it on the camera (without forcing it of
    course) and press the button. If the shutter clicks... (My cable release
    works on both my Nikon and my Mamiya C220)

    Enlarger: not every 35mm enlarger will accept MF. I don't know your
    enlarger, so can't answer this for you. Anyway, the lighting system must
    cover a MF negatieve without light falloff on the edges. If your enlarger
    allows it: you'll probably have to fit a new lightbox and negative carrier
    in it.

    What I can say about your enlarger lens: most likely it won't do as most
    50mm lenses don't cover the whole 6x6 negative; you'll need a new lens of 80
    mm (Rodagon, Schneider, Nikon... have very good lenses but they'll cost you
    x times the price of you camera: look for used ones)

    Film HP5+ : the massive development chart
    (http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html ) does not mention different
    times for different formats, so I assume you can use the same times.

    Final advice: buy yourself the above equipment, spend your money for a good
    enlarger lens and you'll be in the ballpark 1) for uncomparable quality 2)
    for a fraction of the price of digital.

    Enjoy!

    Jan

    Jan T, Jul 11, 2004
  4. J?rg Preddimann

    RSD99 Guest

    That IDIOT "J?rg Preddimann" posted:
    "...
    You can get better results if you buy
    a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
    resolution to work with,
    ...."

    Bull-Pucky.

    I just scanned a couple of 120 frames that I took with a Rollflex ... way back in the days
    of the original Ektachrome "E-1" film.

    At a *very* sharp 7,000 pixels by 7,000 pixels (49 MegaPixels ... FWIW), I don't think any
    digital camera based on a 35 mm body will come close. Andrew's "Yashicamat 124-G" is
    probably capable of the same level of image quality, especially if fed with some of the
    professional level films such as Fuji Velvia 100F or Provia 100F.

    Oh ... BTW ... that Fovion sensor in your "SD10" is actually producing a 3.4 MegaPixel
    image ... NOT 10.3 Megapixels as you "claim." That's only roughly 0.0693877 th of the size
    of a 6x6 image scanned in a mid-range flatbed scanner. Yeah ... roughly 7%!

    [Isn't the "Internet" wonderful ... even idiots like "J?rg Preddimann" ... or whatever
    alias he/she's using on a given day ...are free to post their blatent lies completely
    without recorse!]

    RSD99, Jul 11, 2004
  5. J?rg Preddimann

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <tbiIc.42496$>,
    RSD99 <> wrote:
    >That IDIOT "J?rg Preddimann" posted:
    >"...
    >You can get better results if you buy
    >a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
    >resolution to work with,
    >..."
    >

    >Bull-Pucky.
    >
    >I just scanned a couple of 120 frames that I took with a Rollflex ...
    >way back in the days
    >of the original Ektachrome "E-1" film.
    >
    >At a *very* sharp 7,000 pixels by 7,000 pixels (49 MegaPixels ... FWIW),
    >I don't think any
    >digital camera based on a 35 mm body will come close. Andrew's
    >"Yashicamat 124-G" is
    >probably capable of the same level of image quality, especially if fed
    >with some of the
    >professional level films such as Fuji Velvia 100F or Provia 100F.

    He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is capable of.
    I'm using a Yashica Mat 124G, shooting mostly with Velvia 50, and scanning
    on a cheap and cheerful Epson 4870. I'd say I get "DSLR-quality" pixels by
    the time I downsize to somewhere around 36 megapixels (6000*6000). This
    is a limitation of the scanner, not the film or optics, I'm sure.

    Chris Brown, Jul 12, 2004
  6. J?rg Preddimann

    Edge Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:

    > He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is

    capable of.

    and yet you insist on answering and wagging your willy at the same time ...

    Geez.

    Edge, Jul 12, 2004
  7. J?rg Preddimann

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <40f21430$>, Edge <> wrote:
    >Chris Brown wrote:
    >
    > > He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is

    >capable of.
    >
    >and yet you insist on answering and wagging your willy at the same time ...

    My post was on topic, and contained relevant information. One has to wonder
    why *you* replied.

    And BTW, if I was trying to engage in "willy wagging", as you so delicately
    put it, I can hardly think of a more inappropriate piece of equipment to
    do it with than a second hand 1970s "obsolete" camera that most people
    wouldn't even look twice at, and which can be picked up for less than the
    price of a pretty basic digital P&S. I bought it to take pictures with, not
    to engage in equipment sonbbery contests.

    Sheesh!

    Chris Brown, Jul 12, 2004
  8. J?rg Preddimann

    Sander Vesik Guest

    In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote:
    > In article <40f21430$>, Edge <> wrote:
    > >Chris Brown wrote:
    > >
    > > > He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is

    > >capable of.
    > >
    > >and yet you insist on answering and wagging your willy at the same time ...

    > My post was on topic, and contained relevant information. One has to wonder
    > why *you* replied.
    >
    > And BTW, if I was trying to engage in "willy wagging", as you so delicately
    > put it, I can hardly think of a more inappropriate piece of equipment to
    > do it with than a second hand 1970s "obsolete" camera that most people
    > wouldn't even look twice at, and which can be picked up for less than the
    > price of a pretty basic digital P&S. I bought it to take pictures with, not
    > to engage in equipment sonbbery contests.

    What has any of this stupidity got to do with rec.photo.equipment.35mm ???

    --
    Sander

    +++ Out of cheese error +++

    Sander Vesik, Jul 12, 2004
  9. J?rg Preddimann

    MXP Guest

    The SD10 is not a real 10,3 MP SLR. The image quality does not compare with
    a real 10MP SLR either. And MF has still lot more details than a real 10MP
    SLR.

    Max

    MXP, Jul 13, 2004