Re: I had to chuckle

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jan 4, 8:13 pm, Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    >  Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    >

    > > otter <> wrote:

    > >>Dudley, I didn't get your comment on manual exposure.  Care to
    > >>elaborate your point?

    > >>As for the CF cards, I think the original Rebel used CF cards.  The
    > >>text was probably copied over from a previous book.

    > >Actually, the first couple did.  My wife's XT uses the CF card.
    > >  The XSi was the first Rebel to go SD.

    > >I just included the first quote to illustrate that Mr. Busch's
    > >writing, generally, leaves the impression that he had used the
    > >XSi to photograph the pics illustrating his text which, if
    > >true, would have involved a considerable amount of time
    > >operating the camera.  If such was true, he should have known
    > >there was no CF card, just an SD.

    > >The latter quote, as you noted, indicates that at least a
    > >portion of the text was probably written for a previous
    > >publication, and found its way into this one, more than likely
    > >because the book is one of the cookie cutter variety, with the
    > >model number entered via some sort of text replace (read
    > >regular expression) processing.

    > >I tend to wonder how many of the illustrations in the book
    > >were actually shot with the XSi.  More than likely, his book
    > >on, let's say, an equivalent Nikon will show the same shots,
    > >but attributed to the featured camera.

    Not familiar with this guy or his books. However, if he were
    demonstrating general principles, rather than trying to demonstrate
    the actual quality of results of a given camera, I wouldn't be
    surprised if he reused photos from book to book.

    > >Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the bulk of the book.  I've
    > >already learned quite a bit about my camera from it.  It's
    > >just humourous when the editing staff miss something as
    > >glaring as that little gem.

    > >Take Care,
    > >Dudley

    > I should also note that the XSi, as far as I know, was the
    > first Rebel to feature Live View, so the material wouldn't
    > have been a rehash of a previous Rebel manual, but would have
    > had to come from a different model, even manufacturer
    > publication.
    >
    > Furthermore, as one progresses through the Live View section,
    > one comes across this instruction:
    >
    > Activate Live View.
    > You can continue taking pictures normally through the XSi’s
    > viewfinder. When you’re
    > ready to activate Live View, press the Set button. The mirror
    > will flip up, and the
    > sensor image will appear on the LCD.
    > 5.
    > Adjust brightness.
    > If the image is too bright, rotate the Main dial to the right;
    > if it is too dark,
    > rotate the dial to the left.
    >
    > Now, I don't know what camera this applies to, but it isn't
    > the XSi.
    >
    > When in Live View, rotating the main dial alters such settings
    > as the camera aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc, but not the
    > display brightness.  At least, I can't find any key
    > combination that will enable the main dial to accomplish that
    > feat.  One has to go into the menu system and adjust it there.
    >
    > Anybody know of a DSLR with Live View that fits this
    > discription?
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    Hi Dudley,
    If you have the actual Canon 450 manual, take a look at the bottom of
    page 96.

    5 Display the Live View Image
    Press the <set button>
    If the image is too bright, turn the <main dial> to the right. If is
    is too dark, turn the <main dial> to the left.

    My daughter got my Rebel XSi, so I can't verify, but if both manuals
    say it works that way...

    otter, Jan 10, 2011

  2. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jan 10, 8:38 am, Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    >  otter <> wrote:

    > >Not familiar with this guy or his books.  However, if he were
    > >demonstrating general principles, rather than trying to demonstrate
    > >the actual quality of results of a given camera, I wouldn't be
    > >surprised if he reused photos from book to book.

    > >> I should also note that the XSi, as far as I know, was the
    > >> first Rebel to feature Live View, so the material wouldn't
    > >> have been a rehash of a previous Rebel manual, but would have
    > >> had to come from a different model, even manufacturer
    > >> publication.

    > >> Furthermore, as one progresses through the Live View section,
    > >> one comes across this instruction:

    > >> Activate Live View.
    > >> You can continue taking pictures normally through the XSi=92s
    > >> viewfinder. When you=92re
    > >> ready to activate Live View, press the Set button. The mirror
    > >> will flip up, and the
    > >> sensor image will appear on the LCD.
    > >> 5.
    > >> Adjust brightness.
    > >> If the image is too bright, rotate the Main dial to the right;
    > >> if it is too dark,
    > >> rotate the dial to the left.

    > >> Now, I don't know what camera this applies to, but it isn't
    > >> the XSi.

    > >> When in Live View, rotating the main dial alters such settings
    > >> as the camera aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc, but not the
    > >> display brightness. =A0At least, I can't find any key
    > >> combination that will enable the main dial to accomplish that
    > >> feat. =A0One has to go into the menu system and adjust it there.

    > >> Anybody know of a DSLR with Live View that fits this
    > >> discription?

    > >> Take Care,
    > >> Dudley

    > >Hi Dudley,
    > >If you have the actual Canon 450 manual, take a look at the bottom of
    > >page 96.

    > >5 Display the Live View Image
    > >Press the <set button>
    > >If the image is too bright, turn the <main dial> to the right.  If is
    > >is too dark, turn the <main dial> to the left.

    > >My daughter got my Rebel XSi, so I can't verify, but if both manuals
    > >say it works that way...

    > That's interesting.
    >
    > As I noted above, when in Live View, the main dial adjusts let'
    > s say, the aperture when in Av mode, shutter speed when in Tv,
    > etc.  It can also set the ISO and other settings.  But, I don'
    > t know of any way to get it to set the display brightness.
    > Except for, if you're in manual mode and are setting the
    > exposure manually.  But, let's face it, you're setting the
    > exposure, not the display brightness.  Still, I wonder if that'
    > s what the original author meant.
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    No, I'm pretty sure both manuals are talking about setting the display
    brightness while in live mode. To be clear, the "main dial" is the
    one that is up on top of the camera by the shutter button.

    Like I said, I don't have my Rebel to verify, but it seems the manual
    is very clear.

    otter, Jan 10, 2011

  3. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jan 10, 8:53 am, Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    >  otter <> wrote:

    > >rote:

    > >=3D3DA0

    > >The

    > >> That's interesting.

    > >> As I noted above, when in Live View, the main dial adjusts let'
    > >> s say, the aperture when in Av mode, shutter speed when in Tv,
    > >> etc. =A0It can also set the ISO and other settings. =A0But, I don'
    > >> t know of any way to get it to set the display brightness. =A0
    > >> Except for, if you're in manual mode and are setting the
    > >> exposure manually. =A0But, let's face it, you're setting the
    > >> exposure, not the display brightness. =A0Still, I wonder if that'
    > >> s what the original author meant.

    > >> Take Care,
    > >> Dudley

    > >No, I'm pretty sure both manuals are talking about setting the display
    > >brightness while in live mode.  To be clear, the "main dial" is the
    > >one that is up on top of the camera by the shutter button.

    > >Like I said, I don't have my Rebel to verify, but it seems the manual
    > >is very clear.

    > Yep, that's the dial I'm talking about...
    >
    > I'll get my daughter to go through the custom function
    > settings and see if there is some way to set it to adjust the
    > brightness.  Perhaps, it comes from the factory set to that
    > function, but mine got switched over to its present, more
    > setting control, role somehow.
    >
    > If you find any further info I'd appreciate hearing how to
    > switch it back, as it would make my life a lot easier if I
    > could get it to work that way.
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    Are you familiar with the Canon POTN forums? Google it if not. You
    may want to take this question over there. I'm sure there are a lot
    of Rebel owners there who could tell you for certain how the live view
    display brightness works. I could only speculate. I know it works
    differently on the 5D2, which I have.

    Sometimes controls only work for a short time after pushing another
    button. Don't know if that is the case, but worth checking out. The
    manual doesn't mention a time limit, though. Also, to be in live
    mode, you have to be in P,Tv,Av,M, or A-DEP. It doesn't work in basic
    modes, and you have to have the Live View Shoot menu item enabled.
    You probably know this, but just in case.

    If the camera doesn't work the way the manual says, you could also
    contact Canon about it. But considering the number of Rebels that
    have been sold, I'd be very surprised if you would be the first to
    catch the error. I checked the online version of the manual, and it
    says the same thing. Seems like they would have corrected it by now
    if it were an error.

    There is also a "clear settings" menu item that you might try. See
    page 114.

    otter, Jan 11, 2011
  4. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jan 11, 2:13 am, Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    > Snipped ...

    > >.

    > >f is

    > more snipped ...
    >
    > I dug out my old pdf copy of the XSi manual, the one I don't
    > read that often as I can't convert it to plain text, but have
    > to read in a pdf reader like Adobe, or Omnipage (which is a
    > bit tricky using my screen reader).
    >
    > Just before the part you quote from Canon's manual, there is a
    > little blurb that says:
    >
    > The Live View image will appear on
    > the LCD monitor.
    > ??
    > The Live View image will reflect the
    > brightness level of the actual image
    > you capture.
    >
    > Then, it goes on to explain that, "if the image is too bright,
    > turn the main dial to the right, if it's too dark, turn the
    > dial to the left...
    >
    > As I put forward  above, it appears that Canon writers were
    > referring to adjusting the aperture if the displayed image is
    > either over- or under-exposed, in effect, adjusting the
    > exposure, not the display brightness.
    >
    > Unfortunately, Mr. Busch omitted that little statement which
    > goes a long way toward maintaining clarity during the
    > explanation of operating the camera in Live View mode.
    >
    > Interestingly, I tend to either use the auto ISO setting, or
    > run the aperture and shutter speed settings in the middle of
    > their ranges, so I seldom have a problem with the image being "
    > too bright" or "too dark," at least as far as the exposure is
    > concerned, since the XSi has a pretty decent exposure range,
    > at least as long as you don't go from a really dark setting to
    > a really bright one.
    >
    > My desire to turn up the brightness of the display is a bit
    > unusual.  I doubt most other users will need to set it to the
    > brightness level I'd like, except perhaps in really bright
    > sunlight...
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    So you think it is just weird translation from the Japanese? Seems
    like a really bad choice of words. Not the first time that happened,
    though. Like I say, I don't have the camera anymore, so can't confirm
    or deny. I'd ask on the Canon POTN forum.

    There is apparently an LCD brightness menu item (page 109). Maybe
    that can help.

    otter, Jan 11, 2011
  5. otter

    Wilba Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > As I put forward above, it appears that Canon writers were
    > referring to adjusting the aperture if the displayed image is
    > either over- or under-exposed, in effect, adjusting the
    > exposure, not the display brightness.

    You've been right all along Dudley. In Live View the main dial alters the
    exposure, and the brightness of the displayed image corresponds with that.
    The brightness of the display /itself/ is only altered by the "LCD
    brightness" control in the menu.

    Here's what the main dial does in Live View in each mode -
    P - changes aperture within the range of the lens, and shutter speed changes
    with it to maintain same image brightness, therefore, no change in displayed
    image brightness.
    Tv - changes shutter speed, and aperture tries to change with it to maintain
    same image brightness, therefore, no change in displayed image brightness
    until you hit the limits of the aperture range of the lens.
    Av - same as P.
    M - changes shutter speed while aperture remains the same, therefore,
    displayed image brightness changes.
    A-DEP - same as P.

    So what the manual says is accurate only in M mode. I assume the twit who
    wrote it didn't try it other modes.

    Wilba, Jan 11, 2011