Re: hypothetical upgrade situation

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by hootnholler, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. hootnholler

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey PS,

    Actually, in the fully legal manner of this question, no, you cannot use
    that upgrade disk.

    Why? Because, believe it or not, it is illegal to sell and purchase used
    software. It's kinda like ripping off the tag of your mattress, but if
    anyone would try to uphold this law, it would be M$N... Plus, the
    registration process on XP scans your system hardware, then creates the ID
    number for your version of XP. Then, they keep it in their database, and
    when you try to register it with another set of hardware, it gets flagged,
    and rendered useless. Then, gives you a 1-800 number to call, plead your
    case, and then, if you're lucky, they will give you a new number to enter.
    (Went through this, changed a motherboard on a pc... they had a fit. After
    chewing out their rep and a manager, they reluctantly gave me a new
    number...).

    Sooo, legally, no, you cannot use this cd, unless it was never registered
    at all. It's worth a shot, but maybe John Smith is calling MSN as a
    question ;-)

    Hoot

    P.S. despite all my rhetoric about msn, they have relaxed the rules on the
    XP registration, it just may be worth a shot....

    "PSumerlin" <> wrote in message
    > if a person bought a xp upgrade at a garage sale. opened( no seal), but it

    is
    > the original install disc complete with product key and manual and does

    not
    > know if it has been previously registered or if it still exists or ever
    > existed on another computer or not,. could they use it on their computer

    ?.
    > Can they find out if it has ever been registered? If it has been

    registered to
    > another person but no longer exists on another computer, could the new

    owner
    > just upgrade their registered copy of 98 and be safe to go to microsoft

    for
    > updates without fear if the xp upgrade is registered to someone different

    than
    > the 98 being upgraded? what options would a person have in this

    situation....to
    hootnholler, Nov 11, 2003