Re: Huge 'Pixels' on TV monitor from still files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Georges Preddivous, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. (Webslinger2300) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi There--
    >
    > This is the first time I've done anything with video processing. I've
    > searched in google groups, but no luck with the search terms that I
    > was using. If there are any previous posts that deal with this that
    > you know of, please let me know.
    >
    > Still photo. Did an animation in Flash that ends in the photo for
    > sixteen seconds static just on the photo. Exported to PNG sequence.
    > Imported into AfterEffects. Converted to AVI file for import into
    > Premiere.
    >
    > Before importing the photo into Flash, I did some retouching in
    > Photoshop. The photo is black and white. I added a black to
    > transparent gradient in the area that seems to be the affected. I read
    > that the palette for TV is more limited that computer monitors, but I
    > didn't think that a black and white photo would be a problem.
    >
    > Using the unretouched photo does not produce huge 'pixels'.
    >
    > Tried exporting the flash to a pict sequence. This also produced the
    > large 'pixels'.
    >
    > The Premiere software and the TV monitor are both on a windows
    > computer. I'm on a mac and I don't have a TV monitor attached to it so
    > I can't tell what will work. I can get hold of one, though.
    >
    > I'm hoping that there will be an easier way to fix this so that I
    > don't have to do the breakout box thing with the TV.
    >
    > I hope that all of you are well and having a great time making
    > wonderful video!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lee

    Salutations Lee!

    Video cameras were not made to capture still images. Buy yourself a
    high end digital still camera like the Sigma SD10 and you will have
    better results. Sigma digital cameras contain the highly superior
    Foveon images sensor which is the only sensor that records images in 3
    colour layers like film.

    Georges Preddivous, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Georges Preddivous wrote:

    > Salutations Lee!
    >
    > Video cameras were not made to capture still images. Buy yourself a
    > high end digital still camera like the Sigma SD10 and you will have
    > better results. Sigma digital cameras contain the highly superior
    > Foveon images sensor which is the only sensor that records images in 3
    > colour layers like film.

    This message brought to you by Georges Preddivous, Sales rep for Sigma
    aka Junk.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Georges Preddivous

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    High priced 3 megapixel camera, if you count like all the rest of the
    companies.

    Gymmy Bob, Jul 22, 2004
  4. "Gymmy Bob" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > High priced 3 megapixel camera, if you count like all the rest of the
    > companies.
    >
    > "Georges Preddivous" <> wrote in message

    > > Video cameras were not made to capture still images. Buy yourself a
    > > high end digital still camera like the Sigma SD10 and you will have
    > > better results. Sigma digital cameras contain the highly superior
    > > Foveon images sensor which is the only sensor that records images in 3
    > > colour layers like film.

    Hi and thanks for answering my post!

    I apologize for not being clear on this.

    This is the title sequence for a documentary for an old house. This
    was an old black and white picture of an old house which I retouched
    in photoshop, saved as a PICT file, imported it into Flash, animated a
    sequence in front of it. Then I saved the whole thing as a PNG
    sequence and imported the sequence into AfterEffects and saved as an
    AVI file.

    You can view a very sped-up Flash version of it here:
    http://www.leevodra.com/ArtvisionAni/ .

    If it starts weird for you, hit refresh and it should work fine.
    Parts of the building and the sky were also retouched, but didn't turn
    blue or get the big censor pixellation.

    It's the black part at the bottom that gets the big pixels. It's the
    mid-tone part of the garden that turns blue.

    After being turned into an AVI file, the photo looks fine on a
    computer monitor - both Mac and PC, but is affected only when it's
    shown in a TV monitor.

    The animated part, which is also pure black, seems unaffected.

    The unretouched photo is not affected - it looks fine on the TV
    monitor, but it's a damaged photo and has a lot of age artifacts on
    it.

    I hope this is more clear.

    Thanks to everyone who reads this and answers,

    Lee

    Webslinger2300, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Any other thoughts?

    Please?

    Lee

    Webslinger2300, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Georges Preddivous

    Russ Guest

    Webslinger2300 wrote:

    > After being turned into an AVI file, the photo looks fine on a
    > computer monitor - both Mac and PC, but is affected only when it's
    > shown in a TV monitor.
    >
    > The animated part, which is also pure black, seems unaffected.
    >
    > The unretouched photo is not affected - it looks fine on the TV
    > monitor, but it's a damaged photo and has a lot of age artifacts on
    > it.

    Without knowing the specifics of the output device you are using to get to
    video, it sounds like it might be a problem of mis-matched luminance levels,
    which is common when going between computers and video.

    What you might like to try is in After Effects, add an effect layer over
    your comp and apply a Levels effect and set the *output* levels to 16 for
    shadow and 235 for highlights. On your computer monitor, this will make the
    blacks look a little grey, and the whites a little off-white, however when
    it's converted to video and on a TV screen, you'll find that you'll get
    proper blacks and whites, and you'll get a nice smooth transition at the
    bottom of your image. If the blue is looking strange, you could also apply
    another effect to the effect layer to de-saturate the comp and make it pure
    black and white.

    Hope that helps.

    Russ.

    Russ, Jul 28, 2004