Re: Huge number or funny character directories auto-created under ftproot of web server

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dr.p, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. dr.p

    dr.p Guest

    (Nadeem Hussain) wrote in

    > Under the ftproot folder on webserver, I discovered huge number of
    > funny character directories auto-created, i.e.
    > "X:\Inetpub\ftproot\com1
    > \tEsT\tagged\by\-\for\moviez\3_Engel_fr_Charlie_(DivX)_German "
    > There are no viruses found on the server.
    >
    > I want to know if this a Microsoft issue or Anti-virus issue. I called
    > McAfee and they said that if there are no viruses on the server, it is
    > not he virus issue...

    You have been hacked. Someone is trying to use your computer and your
    internet connection to distributed pirated movies (at least - you mention
    lots of directories).

    Read through this:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Q_20492075.html

    and the others from google:
    http://tinyurl.com/gfkp

    stop IIS
    run windows update - get all IIS securtiy patches
    run a trojan scanner
    run in-depth virus scans

    you should probably back up what you need and re-install windows.

    dr.p, Jul 9, 2003