Re: HTML & CSS help please

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by meagain, Aug 31, 2012.

  1. meagain

    meagain Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > What i would like to fix, and have a better idea how to do these fixes.
    >
    > Log to http://www.oil4lessllc.org/Help/ and..
    > Please see wants.jpg; the thin vertical lines is from menu.line.png
    > (12x43); note they "hang down immediatly below a "shading bar"
    > constructed by somehow repeating the use of menu-top-line.gif (7x7).
    >
    > Now if that bar was lowered by about about 50px, they would follow and
    > thus the text (if does not move vertically) would be centered.
    >
    > Then if the box were made less tall, say 70-100px things would be better
    > (i could re-size menu.line.png to be taller and fit nicely).
    >
    > Last part in this set of fixes, is to decrease the space or padding the
    > word "Menu" and after the word "Contacts".
    >
    > It is both interesting and aggrivating that IE9 ignores the re-sizing and
    > placement changes made, and so the menu (see IE9menu.jpg) IE9 shows is
    > significantly lower as well as "wraps around" making 2 lines.
    > Hints as how to fix that and explainatons as why IE9 does this would be
    > geratfully accepted.
    >
    > Minimal HTML code Trunc_index.html and CSS code superfish.css are included.

    Use http://validator.w3.org/

    to check your code and fix one thing at a time.
    meagain, Aug 31, 2012

  2. meagain

    meagain Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > meagain wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> What i would like to fix, and have a better idea how to do these fixes.
    >>>
    >>> Log to http://www.oil4lessllc.org/Help/ and..
    >>> Please see wants.jpg; the thin vertical lines is from menu.line.png
    >>> (12x43); note they "hang down immediatly below a "shading bar"
    >>> constructed by somehow repeating the use of menu-top-line.gif (7x7).
    >>>
    >>> Now if that bar was lowered by about about 50px, they would follow and
    >>> thus the text (if does not move vertically) would be centered.
    >>>
    >>> Then if the box were made less tall, say 70-100px things would be better
    >>> (i could re-size menu.line.png to be taller and fit nicely).
    >>>
    >>> Last part in this set of fixes, is to decrease the space or padding the
    >>> word "Menu" and after the word "Contacts".
    >>>
    >>> It is both interesting and aggrivating that IE9 ignores the re-sizing and
    >>> placement changes made, and so the menu (see IE9menu.jpg) IE9 shows is
    >>> significantly lower as well as "wraps around" making 2 lines.
    >>> Hints as how to fix that and explainatons as why IE9 does this would be
    >>> geratfully accepted.
    >>>
    >>> Minimal HTML code Trunc_index.html and CSS code superfish.css are
    >>> included.
    >>>

    >> Use http://validator.w3.org/
    >>
    >> to check your code and fix one thing at a time.
    >>

    > It passed the validator; that was the first thing i did.
    > Validators do not even hint how to change code toward any kind of goal,you should
    > know that.

    Ok, what I do next is to fiddle with the HTML cod having to do with
    the thin vertical lines.

    But http://www.oil4lessllc.org/Help/ is
    actually generated by ( I think ) the indexing service and you cannot change it.

    Is the website using <dot>htaccess ?
    THat is what controls the indexing service.

    for example,
    IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*
    <Limit GET POST>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all