Re: HSRP and DHCP interaction

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Hansang Bae, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Hansang Bae

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <bev4dd$h0b$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are using HSRP and DHCP with a central DHCP server and ip helper-adresses
    > configured for the router interfaces to forward DHCP broadcast packets to
    > the central server. For each subnet supporting DHCP, we observe on the DHCP
    > server that discovery packets are received from each HSRP real interface
    > associated with each HSRP virtual gateway. The DHCP server seems to handle
    > this OK, but we occassionaly have problems where a client fails to obtain a
    > lease and the logs indicate that the client has rejected the offer. We are
    > using Lucent's Vital QIP DHCP server and Lucent has stated that our HSRP
    > configuration may be causing these problems. The Lucent engineer recommends
    > that we stop the standby routers from forwarding or responding to any
    > packets, and referred us to a Cisco document entitled Avoiding HSRP
    > Instability in a Switching Environment with Various Router Platforms,
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configurat
    > ion_example09186a0080093f93.shtml. Unless I'm missing something, I don't
    > see anything in that document that tells me how to stop a standy router from
    > forwarding broadcasts. And I'm not sure that I buy their explanation. But
    > is there any way to stop the standby router from forwarding the DHCP
    > broadcasts?

    No. And your Lucent engineer is barking up the wrong tree. We have QIP
    all over the place with no problems (and running HSRP) Usual
    recommendations apply (like using portfast etc.)

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jul 15, 2003