Re: HP XP in boot loop - Fix-It 8 - MSFT vs HP XP cd's

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Top posting - Final result:

    After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop box
    as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the desktop
    PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and after the
    repair all is well with the drive.
    I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
    folders as they were.

    I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
    point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on Compaq
    boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever displayed, but
    I'll investigate and report back.

    Thanks to all.

    - Bobb -, Mar 4, 2008

  2. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    - Bobb - typed on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:47:43 -0500:
    > Top posting - Final result:
    >
    > After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop
    > box as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the
    > desktop PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and
    > after the repair all is well with the drive.
    > I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
    > folders as they were.
    >
    > I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
    > point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on
    > Compaq boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever
    > displayed, but I'll investigate and report back.
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    OEM versions of Windows XP does not contain any repair Windows option.
    At least I have never seen one anyway. Only the retail version of
    Windows XP does. OEM versions of Windows 2000 does contain the repair
    option from the ones I have seen though.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Mar 4, 2008

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Bill,
    Do you know ...
    Could I use retail version of Windows XP to REPAIR an OEM install ?
    I didn't try it, just asking to see if you know, 'cuz I think it MIGHT
    have worked.
    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Mar 4, 2008
  4. - Bobb -

    Ben Myers Guest

    Give it a try. It ought to work.

    BTW, Dell's OEM Windows XP install CDs, both Pro and Home, both have the repair
    console and the Windows repair menu choice. Dell's XP "restore" CDs are full
    everyday Windows install CDs with minor differences from the OEM version bought
    from a distributor... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2008