Re: HP W2408 Monitor goes to sleep as computer begins booting up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Aug 26, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Billy Bob Browning wrote:

    > When I attempt to boot up in Vista Ultimate
    > x32 the screen lights up fine until after I tell it which operating
    > system to load. When I put the line over Vista and press enter a
    > message comes on the screen saying the "monitor is going to sleep"
    >
    > Nothing I do brings it back. I can boot into safe mode and work there
    > with no problems.
    >
    > I can boot into Windows 7 and the monitor works fine.
    >
    > This is annoying as hell! I have a lot of financial stuff Ineed to do
    > on Vista and I cant get to it.
    >
    > I tried a system restore and it seemed to work, but when the system
    > rebooted, the screen when dark again.
    > I'm using a GT 240 Geoforce made by Nvidia.
    >
    > My computer is an HP media center PC with 2.4ghz and dual quad cores.
    >
    > What gives with this?


    So how are the power control settings configured in Vista regarding
    low-power modes (Standby or Hibernate) for the monitor? Apparently you
    have a multi-boot setup (and perhaps Microsoft's crappy dual-boot setup
    rather than use a real multi-boot manager). You don't mention at what
    point during the Vista startup as to when the monitor goes to sleep.
    Could be immediately when you select the OS in the boot manager (but
    that depends if you are doing multi- or dual-boot). Could be after
    Vista has loaded its kernel and you're past the initial load screen.
    You don't mention if you ever see the logon page (but then maybe you
    configured Vista to automatically login which tosses out the security
    built into it). Could be after you login.

    Maybe you selected a video resolution or refresh rate that your monitor
    doesn't support. Safe Mode uses the old VGA resolution of 640x480
    (forgot what color depth) at 60Hz. You should have installed the
    "driver" (and .inf file) that defines your actual monitor since it will
    define what resolutions and especially what refresh rates are supported
    by that monitor (and the unsupported ones aren't listed to prevent you
    from accidentally selecting them). However, rather than going to sleep,
    usually you get an "out of range" message on the monitor (from the
    monitor, not displayed from your video card).

    You told us a little about your system unit but nothing about the actual
    monitor. Is it a CRT or LCD monitor? If CRT, it's possible you used
    software sizing controls (instead of those on the monitor's OSD menu) to
    move around the screen. If you get near a frequency transistion point,
    the screen could paint a ways off or be black or be torn.

    Did you foolishly install a new video driver offered by Windows Update?
    You should NEVER install drivers from WU. Instead that should prompt
    you to go to the hardware manufacturers web site or the maker of your
    host to go get THEIR drivers. Did you install new drivers although your
    hardware was already working? If your hardware is already working then
    you don't need new drivers to supposedly fix old problems (which you
    don't have) and end up introducing new problems. The latest driver
    version may not be the best choice (new code = new problems,
    compatibility removed for older graphics or game software).

    If you didn't (or think you didn't) install a new video driver or change
    the screen resolution (or don't have a CRT where the sizing has the
    screen position close to a frequency change) then it appears something
    you chose to load on Vista startup is causing the problem. Safe Mode
    doesn't load all those startup items that you added (or that came in a
    bloated setup of most branded host setups). Use msconfig.exe to disable
    all startup items (diagnostic mode) and reboot into Windows normal mode
    to see if the screen is okay. If that works, reenable each startup item
    one at a time, reboot, and check if the video is still okay. When the
    video goes bad, it's the just previously re-enabled startup item that is
    causing the problem.

    Vista newsgroups are at:
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.*
     
    VanguardLH, Aug 26, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. VanguardLH

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:03:02 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Billy Bob Browning wrote:
    >
    >> When I attempt to boot up in Vista Ultimate x32 the screen lights up
    >> fine until after I tell it which operating system to load. When I put
    >> the line over Vista and press enter a message comes on the screen
    >> saying the "monitor is going to sleep"
    >>
    >> Nothing I do brings it back. I can boot into safe mode and work there
    >> with no problems.
    >>
    >> I can boot into Windows 7 and the monitor works fine.
    >>
    >> This is annoying as hell! I have a lot of financial stuff Ineed to do
    >> on Vista and I cant get to it.
    >>
    >> I tried a system restore and it seemed to work, but when the system
    >> rebooted, the screen when dark again. I'm using a GT 240 Geoforce made
    >> by Nvidia.
    >>
    >> My computer is an HP media center PC with 2.4ghz and dual quad cores.
    >>
    >> What gives with this?

    >
    > So how are the power control settings configured in Vista regarding
    > low-power modes (Standby or Hibernate) for the monitor? Apparently you
    > have a multi-boot setup (and perhaps Microsoft's crappy dual-boot setup
    > rather than use a real multi-boot manager). You don't mention at what
    > point during the Vista startup as to when the monitor goes to sleep.
    > Could be immediately when you select the OS in the boot manager (but
    > that depends if you are doing multi- or dual-boot). Could be after
    > Vista has loaded its kernel and you're past the initial load screen. You
    > don't mention if you ever see the logon page (but then maybe you
    > configured Vista to automatically login which tosses out the security
    > built into it). Could be after you login.
    >
    > Maybe you selected a video resolution or refresh rate that your monitor
    > doesn't support. Safe Mode uses the old VGA resolution of 640x480
    > (forgot what color depth) at 60Hz. You should have installed the
    > "driver" (and .inf file) that defines your actual monitor since it will
    > define what resolutions and especially what refresh rates are supported
    > by that monitor (and the unsupported ones aren't listed to prevent you
    > from accidentally selecting them). However, rather than going to sleep,
    > usually you get an "out of range" message on the monitor (from the
    > monitor, not displayed from your video card).
    >
    > You told us a little about your system unit but nothing about the actual
    > monitor. Is it a CRT or LCD monitor? If CRT, it's possible you used
    > software sizing controls (instead of those on the monitor's OSD menu) to
    > move around the screen. If you get near a frequency transistion point,
    > the screen could paint a ways off or be black or be torn.
    >
    > Did you foolishly install a new video driver offered by Windows Update?
    > You should NEVER install drivers from WU. Instead that should prompt
    > you to go to the hardware manufacturers web site or the maker of your
    > host to go get THEIR drivers. Did you install new drivers although your
    > hardware was already working? If your hardware is already working then
    > you don't need new drivers to supposedly fix old problems (which you
    > don't have) and end up introducing new problems. The latest driver
    > version may not be the best choice (new code = new problems,
    > compatibility removed for older graphics or game software).
    >
    > If you didn't (or think you didn't) install a new video driver or change
    > the screen resolution (or don't have a CRT where the sizing has the
    > screen position close to a frequency change) then it appears something
    > you chose to load on Vista startup is causing the problem. Safe Mode
    > doesn't load all those startup items that you added (or that came in a
    > bloated setup of most branded host setups). Use msconfig.exe to disable
    > all startup items (diagnostic mode) and reboot into Windows normal mode
    > to see if the screen is okay. If that works, reenable each startup item
    > one at a time, reboot, and check if the video is still okay. When the
    > video goes bad, it's the just previously re-enabled startup item that is
    > causing the problem.
    >
    > Vista newsgroups are at:
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.*


    HOLY SHIT! Didn't the old lady put out last night?



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Aug 26, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Billy Bob Browning wrote:

    > I'm using Microsofts dual boot manager.
    >
    > Right after I select Windows vista as the OS to boot, the screen goes
    > dark, and it says "monitor going to sleep" I can HEAR the system
    > continuing to boot on up, and I even hear the sounds as it finishes
    > booting, but the squeen never wakes up. It just keeps on jerking
    > itself off! :-(


    Microsoft's "dual mode" boot procedure has one copy of Windows loading
    its kernel. That also means the kernel drivers are loaded, like the
    video driver. Once that OS loader is in memory and running, it reads
    the boot.ini file to list what selections are recorded there. They
    could be for operating systems in different partitions or the OS in the
    same partition as the kernel that just loaded but with different
    parameters. So you ARE loading [part of] Windows before you even get
    Microsoft's dual-boot screen to show up. Looks like you have a video
    driver problem (wrong one installed, wrong version, bad code in a newer
    version, isn't configured to a resolution or refresh rate supported by
    your unidentified monitor).
     
    VanguardLH, Aug 27, 2010
    #3
  4. VanguardLH

    Jordon Guest

    Billy Bob Browning wrote:

    > Right after I select Windows vista as the OS to boot, the screen goes
    > dark, and it says "monitor going to sleep" I can HEAR the system
    > continuing to boot on up, and I even hear the sounds as it finishes
    > booting, but the squeen never wakes up. It just keeps on jerking
    > itself off! :-(


    By chance, would the monitor be plugged into the GT240
    card with its DVI connector?

    --
    Jordon
     
    Jordon, Aug 27, 2010
    #4
  5. VanguardLH

    Jordon Guest

    Billy Bob Browning wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:29:24 -0700, Jordon
    > <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Billy Bob Browning wrote:
    >>
    >>> Right after I select Windows vista as the OS to boot, the screen goes
    >>> dark, and it says "monitor going to sleep" I can HEAR the system
    >>> continuing to boot on up, and I even hear the sounds as it finishes
    >>> booting, but the squeen never wakes up. It just keeps on jerking
    >>> itself off! :-(

    >>
    >> By chance, would the monitor be plugged into the GT240
    >> card with its DVI connector?

    >
    > I'm not sure.


    How many pins in the connector? 14 or 29?
     
    Jordon, Aug 30, 2010
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?REhhZ2x1bmQ=?=

    connection lost when computer goes to sleep

    =?Utf-8?B?REhhZ2x1bmQ=?=, Mar 26, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    15,232
  2. Victor Iwanczuk

    LG MONITOR SLEEP FAULT

    Victor Iwanczuk, Jun 18, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    626
    Victor Iwanczuk
    Jun 18, 2004
  3. Sticks

    Computer Goes to Sleep"

    Sticks, Sep 2, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    682
    nobody >
    Sep 8, 2007
  4. gm2tat
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,861
    gm2tat
    Sep 18, 2009
  5. Meat Plow
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    710
    Meat Plow
    Aug 26, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page