Re: HP Pavillion Laptop Freezes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Oct 17, 2008.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:19:32 -0500, James wrote:

    > My 4 month old HP Pavillion laptop with Vista SP1,

    Never mind. Could be worse. Don't know how, but it could be.

    > 3 G RAM would freeze
    > about every ten minutes or so. When it freezes it won't even let me get
    > to Task Manager to kill the offending program. The only way to get it
    > operational is to hold down the power button and reboot. I called HP
    > support today and they told me that the way to fix the freeze ups is to
    > disconnect the battery and unplug the the power brick from the computer
    > and then hold the power button for 30-45 seconds. The reason for this, I
    > was told, is to "drain the static from the computer". I understand
    > draining the charge from capacitors, but this is a new one for me
    > (unless HP thinks that a technical explanation is beyond the
    > understanding of Americans.)

    Probably.

    > Anyhow, she said to do this twice a week to prevent the freezing.

    So do it.

    > Has anyone ever heard of this as a solution to the problem of computer
    > freezing?

    Yes

    >Or is this the most bizarre load of crap I every heard?

    I've heard stranger

    > On
    > the other hand, it has been running now for almost an hour now and
    > hasn't frozen yet.

    Well, there ya go.

    > Comments?

    I think I've said all I want to.

    > James

    Aardvark.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Oct 17, 2008