Re: HP Pavillion from Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gary G. Taylor, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. "s" <me> wrote:

    > I am working on a friend's box. It's a HP Pavillion from Wal-Mart. It has
    > WIN 98,and a dial-up connection.
    > My problem is this: whenever I start it, it want's to go on-line right
    > away. It tries to do it four (4) times, and then stops (it tries to
    > connect, I cancel, it tries, I cancel, etc.)
    > It has Yahoo pager installed, McAfee on-line scan also. I did the
    > msconfig/ startup, and unchecked the Yahoo, McAfee, still does it. I also
    > right clicked internet explorer, selected properties, looked around in
    > there, still does it.
    >
    > Any ideas are welcome.
    > Thanx

    What's in the taskbar? Probably 85 different icons. One of those is
    doubtless the culprit. If the machine came with a "restore disk," that
    means it's loaded with proprietary crap and you will have a difficult time
    getting rid of it.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 21, 2003