Re: HP Pavillion from Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. s

    s Guest

    "s" <me> wrote in message news:...
    > I am working on a friend's box. It's a HP Pavillion from Wal-Mart. It has
    > WIN 98,and a dial-up connection.
    > My problem is this: whenever I start it, it want's to go on-line right
    > away. It tries to do it four (4) times, and then stops (it tries to

    connect,
    > I cancel, it tries, I cancel, etc.)
    > It has Yahoo pager installed, McAfee on-line scan also. I did the
    > msconfig/ startup, and unchecked the Yahoo, McAfee, still does it. I also
    > right clicked internet explorer, selected properties, looked around in
    > there, still does it.
    >
    > Any ideas are welcome.
    > Thanx
    >
    > BTW I can't go on-line to see what it wants to connect to, because, I

    don't have dial-up. I 've got broadband.

    s, Jul 20, 2003

  2. s

    LooseLips Guest

    Sounds like spyware. Install and run AdAware or Spybot Search and Destroy
    and see what happens next.

    LooseLips, Jul 20, 2003

  3. s

    trout Guest

    s wrote:

    > "s" <me> wrote in message news:...
    >> I am working on a friend's box. It's a HP Pavillion from Wal-Mart.
    >> It has WIN 98,and a dial-up connection.
    >> My problem is this: whenever I start it, it want's to go on-line
    >> right away. It tries to do it four (4) times, and then stops (it
    >> tries to connect, I cancel, it tries, I cancel, etc.)
    >> It has Yahoo pager installed, McAfee on-line scan also. I did the
    >> msconfig/ startup, and unchecked the Yahoo, McAfee, still does it.
    >> I also right clicked internet explorer, selected properties, looked
    >> around in there, still does it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas are welcome.
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> BTW I can't go on-line to see what it wants to connect to, because, I

    > don't have dial-up. I 've got broadband.

    You could put a free copy of ZoneAlarm on there (even temporarily)
    to see what programs are asking permission to connect.
    <http://tinyurl.com/3p6f>
    --
    "It was also a good suggestion to check for spy/adware."

    trout, Jul 20, 2003