Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Agent Orange, Sep 19, 2004.

  1. Agent Orange

    Agent Orange Guest

    > My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
    > Black ink old. Color ink old.
    > 8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
    > Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
    > Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.
    >
    > But the ink isn't old. I refilled it just last week.

    IF YOU HAVE MORE/BETTER LINKS ... PLEASE POST THEM HERE:

    Here is what I have to help you:

    List of HP printer warning messages and what they mean:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpd06563&locale=en_US

    Resetting ink levels in HP printers with HP 14 cartridges:
    http://stratitec.com/inkrefill/support/inkreset4.html

    Disabling or resetting HP C5010A & C5011A ink Level Indicators:
    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.html

    Carly's cunning consumable plan:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

    HP time limits for cartridges even if 75% of the ink is left:
    http://www.valueshop.co.uk/printer-ink-links.asp

    How to refill all HP ink cartridges:
    http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-refilling-hp-ink-cartridges.asp

    HP refill ink cartridge care:
    http://www.cacartridge.com/ink_care.php

    Inkjet refill kits:
    http://www.atlascopy.com/refills/atlasbrand/inkjet_refill_kits.htm

    HP INK JET D125/D135/D145/D155 Overriding Ink Level Gauge:
    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.html

    The difference between HP A & D cartridges and other refilling tips:
    http://atlascopy.com/C6578.htm

    HP ink cartridge refill kits:
    http://www.ink-etc.com/hp-ink_refill_kit.html
    http://www.amerijet.org/hp.html
    http://www.ink-refills.com/d135officejet.htm
    http://store1.inetu.net/inkexpress/StoreFront.bok

    There are no legal & warranty issues with refilling ink tanks:
    http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/index.html

    HP page on the official cartridge warranty expiration date:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02075&locale=en_US

    Agent Orange, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Agent Orange

    Bob Headrick Guest

    Bob Headrick, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Agent Orange

    Crownfield Guest

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "Agent Orange" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > There are no legal & warranty issues with refilling ink tanks:
    > > http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/index.html

    > Not true. See:
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpa00113
    >
    > There certainly are warranty issues - you cannot expect a printer manufacturer
    > to cover damage you cause.

    true, however hp <quote>

    Using refilled print cartridges alone does not affect either the
    warranty or any maintenance contract purchased from HP for its HP Inkjet
    printers.

    </quote>

    some of the ink vendors will guarantee their ink.

    Crownfield, Sep 20, 2004
  4. >> > There are no legal & warranty issues with refilling ink tanks:
    >> > http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/index.html

    >> Not true. See:
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpa00113

    This is a wonderful thread 'cause it contains so much exciting stuff!

    Here is my take on the three warrantee considerations:
    POINT 1: HP must honor the warrantee even if you refill ink.

    POINT 2: IF (and only if) the ink refilling itself caused the damage
    to the printer, then HP doesn't have to honor the warrantee.

    POINT 3: Warrantee isn't really an issue (when refilling ink):

    DETAILS for POINT 1:
    According to the URL:
    http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/Legality.html
    "One question that is very popular amongst those who are considering
    refilling is "Will refilling void my warranty?". The answer to that
    question is simple - NO. Consumers are often told by salesman or
    service personnel that competitive ink products may not be used in the
    consumers printer during the warranty period. They accompany this with
    the claim that "The use of competitive brands of ink will void (or
    invalidate) the warranty", with the statement or implication that only
    the original equipment cartridges and ink may be used. This, of
    course, tends to cast doubt on the quality of the refilling products
    being used.

    This claim, however, is simply not true. Under the Magnuson-Moss
    warranty act and general principles set forth by the Federal Trade
    Commission, a manufacturer may not require the use of their brand of
    user replaceable consumables unless they are providing that item to
    you free of charge under the terms of the warranty. It's the same
    thing when General Motors recommends the use of GM oil and GM oil
    filters in their automobiles for best performance. Any consumer knows
    that Valvoline or Pennzoil products are acceptable, and can be used
    without affecting the warranty - the reason this can be done is
    written in these laws."

    DETAILS for POINT 3:
    According to the URL:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpa00113

    "Using refilled print cartridges alone does not affect either the
    warranty or any maintenance contract purchased from HP for its HP
    Inkjet printers. However, if an HP Inkjet printer fails or is damaged
    because you used a modified or refilled HP Inkjet print cartridge, the
    repair will not be covered under the warranty or by the maintenance
    contract. Instead, standard time and material charges will be applied
    to service the printer for that particular failure or damage."

    DETAILS for POINT 3:
    As a practical matter, if someone purchases the printer from CostCo
    (which I do), then the full-money-back warrantee period for almost all
    things is forever so it's not an issue. I buy EVERYTHING I can at
    CostCo for precisely that reason. Over tens thousand dollars worth a
    year. Computers. Clothes. Food. Batteries. Toys. And, yes, printers,
    photo paper, & ink supplies. I return very few items, but, some things
    I return even after four or five years and they don't ask any
    questions. I repeat, I buy everything I can at CostCo for this reason.
    They win: I win. I could hit the printer with a hammer, and they'd
    honor the money-back guarantee. I'd never buy electronics from anyone
    else, unless CostCo didn't carry what I needed or wanted.

    Even so, by the time a home consumer refills ink, the HP warrantee
    period (what is it, a year, maybe, on a printer?) may be near up
    anyway. Plus, think about it, how much can good quality ink (from
    CostCo) actually damage a printer? It's not magic stuff.

    PS: I do NOT work for CostCo :)

    Vito Vincenza, Sep 20, 2004
  5. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    With nearly 50 posts in this thread, it's possible my issues have been
    answered, but I would still beg permission to describe the particular
    problems I have had, steps I have taken to try to correct them, and
    ask what I should be doing.

    The printer I am using is an HP officejet d 135. Yeah, one of those
    with the $25 color ink cartridge that runs out after about 25 prints
    and the whole machine won't work without it, even if you try printing
    in black-and-white only! Well, I ran through one color cartridge and
    managed to prolong its life for awhile using a universal ink refill
    kit bought at Wal-Mart--in other words, NOT HP ink, but the package
    said it would work on HP and for awhile it seemed to. After awhile,
    nothing would do. The machine threw a fit. No matter how many times
    I pressed ink gauge override, it insisted the cartridge was expired
    and printing would stop, which it did. It made no prints after the
    time it said it wouldn't

    So, I removed it and put in another I had ordered sometime earlier as
    backup. This one it accepted, though the expiration date was five or
    six months ago (I don't know if this is the expiration date, or the
    "must install before" date--it sat for awhile while I strung out the
    first cartridge till the last gasp.) Either way, the prints are
    TERRIBLE! On "Fast" or "Normal" the prints are faint and patchy. On
    "Best" it just runs the paper through, pretending to print, while
    leaving no image at all! I got a few good prints off the first
    cartridge and that was it. I poured refill ink into the second
    cartridge till it would take no more and it still looks like total
    ¢rap. What I did was, with the first cartridge I was refilling as
    instructed, with the syringe through the little holes while in the
    machine, but could only dribble in a few drops at a time which didn't
    seem to be doing anything. So with the second cartridge, I placed it
    in a plastic box with a paper towel on the bottom, and poured ALL the
    remaining red and yellow ink and most of the blue in until it gushed
    out the larger holes in the bottom. I didn't try to aim only for the
    center hole with the syringe. While some went in there, I also
    saturated every bit of the spongy material I could see. I used one
    paper towel for the yellow, one for the red, and one for the blue, and
    cleaned up carefully after each, so the colors didn't mix and the
    cartridge was clean when I put it in the machine, but still it alarmed
    me how much ink was on the paper towels! Is it possible that unless
    it is filled while in the machine, it all runs right back out? So
    this is how saturated the cartridge is/should be, and still with the
    ¢rappy prints!

    Is this the fault of the cartridge or can (horrors!) something else
    like the heads actually be damaged? (But how could this be when it
    has a built-in thing to stop printing and I never fri¢kin touched the
    heads, just carefully removed and replaced the cartridges?) If it is
    the cartridge, it's undoubtedly living on borrowed time.

    SO--this leads to the actual questions.

    1. Does anyone know the best place for purchasing refill cartridges
    for this machine, or at the least refill ink which will actually work?
    In other words, was it the Wal-Mart ink that caused the problem?
    Does HP sell ink, or, if not, what is the best imitation of their ink,
    and if I put that ink into one or both of the cartridges will that fix
    them, or did the Wal-Mart ink ruin them and I have to buy a new one
    and then refill that with approved ink (presumably in the approved
    manner--since it seemed to leak all over the other way?) Where should
    I get the ink, and, if necessary, the new cartridge?

    2. If it is the Wal-Mart ink, why is the color every kind of trouble
    while the black works perfectly well? I am only on the second
    cartridge of black, which I have filled in the approved manner with
    the Wal-Mart ink, and it works fine!

    3. What is the best way to override the expiration dates on these two
    cartridges? The second one expired earlier this year, and was never
    fri¢kin in the machine till the other day! I ought to be able to get
    something out of it!

    4. Or am I to be held hostage by whatever price the manufacturers
    choose to charge? (In other words: for this amount of time, trouble,
    and expense, just to copy photo album pictures for friends and so on,
    I might as well just drive to the 1-Hour place and pay them to do it!)

    Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide!

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 1, 2004
  6. You can't keep refilling HP cartridges; they aren't designed for it. The
    electrical contact between the cartridge and the printer degrades as you
    take a cartridge in and out. Cleaning the contacts might help - a little.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    (Cori) wrote in message news:

    > 1. Does anyone know the best place for purchasing refill cartridges
    > for this machine, or at the least refill ink which will actually work?

    These people http://www.printcountry.com/product...0300300310506028024060&store=PC&ref=GGYXXAD04
    were advertising both products and others over here on the upper right
    hand corner of this page (the Google version of the Usenet page).
    What opinions do people here have of them and of any similar
    businesses? Thanks.

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 2, 2004
  8. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > You can't keep refilling HP cartridges; they aren't designed for it. The
    > electrical contact between the cartridge and the printer degrades as you
    > take a cartridge in and out. Cleaning the contacts might help - a little.

    OH, MY GOD! You may know whereof you speak. Still a ¢rap print,
    but...a MUCH higher-quality ¢rap! If I keep cleaning them do they
    keep getting better until it produces a decent print?

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 2, 2004
  9. Agent Orange

    quietguy Guest

    Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printingwill stop.

    Have a look at this very helpful site for HP printer owners

    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpid.html

    David

    quietguy, Oct 3, 2004
  10. Agent Orange

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "quietguy" <> wrote in message
    > Have a look at this very helpful site for HP printer owners
    >
    > http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpid.html
    >
    > David
    >
    > Cori wrote:
    >
    >> The printer I am using is an HP officejet d 135.

    The user has a D135, the page you reference has nothing to do with the D135
    cartridges and the principles there do not apply.

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    Bob Headrick, Oct 3, 2004
  11. Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

    What did I do wrong when I replaced my HP14 c5010d ink cartridge?
    "Supply expired. Replace color ink cartridge. Press enter to continue."

    0. Long ago, I set my HP Office Jet d145 printer to stop counting
    pages printed because I religiously refill the 19ml HP14 C5010a
    sponge-based color ink cartridge with high quality ink.

    Note: The steps to turn off the HPOJd145 "ink level indicator" from
    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.html
    a) Press both the keypad LEFT ARROW & RIGHT ARROW at the same time
    b) Release both the keypad LEFT ARROW & RIGHT ARROW at the same time
    c) Press the keypad 4, then the 5, then the 6 in sequence
    d) Wait for the prompt asking if you want to override the ink level gauge
    e) Press 1 for Yes.

    1. An old HP14 color cartridge was in my HP d145 all-in-one printer
    for exactly 2.5 contiguous years, finally showing "5 days to
    expire", "4 days to expire", "3 days to expire", etc. until
    it "expired" last week.

    Note: There is no computer attached to this all-in-one printer /
    copier / fax (I use it as a home office color copier).

    2. Based on instructions in comp.periphs.printers, I purchased
    THREE new HP14 23ml hp5010d color cartridges giving me a
    total of four HP #14 color ink cartridges, some 19 ml & others
    a full 23 ml due to HP marketing shenanigans (all are the exact
    same physical size, HP just fills the ink tank less or more).

    Note: The actual date on the cartridge is 2004/09/10, which then
    calculates to a true expiration date of 2006/09/10. So, it
    still has years of life left (I refill it religiously).

    3. THREE TIMES, I turned on the Hewlett Packard Office Jet d145
    printer; flipped the top open; removed the prior HP 14 cartridge;
    installed the next HP14 cartridge; closed the top; then pressed
    "Enter" to print the obligatory alignment marks; and then
    shut down the HP OJ d145 printer.

    Note: I ran step 3 above THREE times; yet, when I placed the
    refilled first (of four) HP14 color ink cartridges back
    into the HP OfficeJet d145 printer, the LCD display still
    reports: "Supply expired. Replace color ink cartridge."

    QUESTION:
    I have FOUR HP14 color ink cartridges (one of which had been in the
    printer for a contiguous 2.5 years). What did I do wrong?
    Why didn't adding THREE separate new cartridges erase the memory
    of the original 2.5-years contiguous service cartridge serial number?

    Martin Mickston, Oct 4, 2004
  12. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    "Bob Headrick" <> wrote in message news:

    > The user has a D135, the page you reference has nothing to do with the D135
    > cartridges and the principles there do not apply.
    >
    > - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    Bob, of the many suggestions given above, which, in your opinion,
    would apply best to my situation, and can you list any no one else
    has? I am going to order supplies here http://www.printcountry.com/
    unless someone names a good reason not to. They claim to manufacture
    new cartridges (not remanufactured) that will work with all printers
    including mine, and to sell ink compatible with them.

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 4, 2004
  13. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    (Cori) wrote in message news:

    > I am going to order supplies here http://www.printcountry.com/
    > unless someone names a good reason not to. They claim to manufacture
    > new cartridges (not remanufactured) that will work with all printers
    > including mine, and to sell ink compatible with them.
    >
    > Cori

    &%$#@*+++! Now the %$#@&*==+ black cartridge is starting! Could it
    be the Wal Mart ink? Could it have really destroyed the printer? How
    do I KNOW whether it's destroyed or just being difficult? Do I have
    to pay a repair shop person (as I don't pay maintenance on machines
    and the warranty will have expired--the printer is 2 or 3 years old)
    to determine what shape it's in, and, if possible, fix it?

    I just filled the black cartridge--which I have kept filled all along
    and barely used, and worked more or less fine till today--with fresh
    ink, cleaned the contacts scrupulously, and tried to print a simple
    letter. Three copies, each one worse than the last! I'm ordering
    supplies from the abovenamed place TODAY in a last-ditch effort to
    make this thing work!

    I DON'T want to buy another printer--but in the event that I HAVE
    TO--what brands do people recommend as working best with a
    Macintosh--one on which a person wants to print out color photographs,
    as well as scan items, make color photocopies from books and pictures,
    and maybe one day use as a FAX? Please recommend some brand so I
    don't have to buy another %#*%@@$&*! HP again! Any suggestions short
    of pitching it out the window welcome! Thanks for your consideration.

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 4, 2004
  14. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    (Cori) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Cori) wrote in message news:
    >
    > > I am going to order supplies here http://www.printcountry.com/
    > > unless someone names a good reason not to. They claim to manufacture
    > > new cartridges (not remanufactured) that will work with all printers
    > > including mine, and to sell ink compatible with them.
    > >
    > > Cori

    > &%$#@*+++! Now the %$#@&*==+ black cartridge is starting! Could it
    > be the Wal Mart ink? Could it have really destroyed the printer? How
    > do I KNOW whether it's destroyed or just being difficult? Do I have
    > to pay a repair shop person (as I don't pay maintenance on machines
    > and the warranty will have expired--the printer is 2 or 3 years old)
    > to determine what shape it's in, and, if possible, fix it?
    >
    > I just filled the black cartridge--which I have kept filled all along
    > and barely used, and worked more or less fine till today--with fresh
    > ink, cleaned the contacts scrupulously, and tried to print a simple
    > letter. Three copies, each one worse than the last! I'm ordering
    > supplies from the abovenamed place TODAY in a last-ditch effort to
    > make this thing work!
    >
    > I DON'T want to buy another printer--but in the event that I HAVE
    > TO--what brands do people recommend as working best with a
    > Macintosh--one on which a person wants to print out color photographs,
    > as well as scan items, make color photocopies from books and pictures,
    > and maybe one day use as a FAX? Please recommend some brand so I
    > don't have to buy another %#*%@@$&*! HP again! Any suggestions short
    > of pitching it out the window welcome! Thanks for your consideration.
    >
    > Cori

    Okay, I didn't send the order, but if I'm lucky I can get to a Cosco
    before the time by which an online order would arrive. I'll see if
    they sell the cartridges for less than the going price. While I'm at
    it I'll see if they sell printers. If they do have a "new" cartridge
    and it still doesn't work, that will prove it's the printer. Make
    sense?

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 5, 2004
  15. Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire.Printing will stop.

    On 5 Oct 2004 01:11:47 -0700
    (Cori) wrote:

    > If they do have a "new" cartridge
    > and it still doesn't work, that will prove it's the printer. Make
    > sense?

    No, it could be the printheads. The d series OfficeJets have
    separate heads and ink tanks. If you're willing to spend about
    $30/head, try replacing them - start with the black one, and
    be sure to use an HP ink tank.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan

    Stefaan A Eeckels, Oct 5, 2004
  16. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

    > (Cori) wrote:
    >
    > > If they do have a "new" cartridge
    > > and it still doesn't work, that will prove it's the printer. Make
    > > sense?

    > No, it could be the printheads. The d series OfficeJets have
    > separate heads and ink tanks. If you're willing to spend about
    > $30/head, try replacing them - start with the black one, and
    > be sure to use an HP ink tank.
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > --
    > Stefaan

    Thanks, Stefaan. Well, I did make it to Costco today, but found that
    the cartridges were little or no less expensive there than to buy
    online even considering postage. I looked at printers (they sold HP
    and Epson and sold at least cartridges for Canon though I saw no
    actual Canon printers) and their prices may be better than elsewhere,
    but as their membership is $45 per year, it seems you'd have to buy so
    MUCH to justify driving all that way and paying for membership than to
    just buy the same darn thing for $10 or $20 elsewhere. Well, I can
    look into having it repaired, but that still means being unable to
    print till the problem is resolved one way or another.

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire.Printing will stop.

    On 6 Oct 2004 02:32:01 -0700
    (Cori) wrote:

    > > No, it could be the printheads. The d series OfficeJets have
    > > separate heads and ink tanks. If you're willing to spend about
    > > $30/head, try replacing them - start with the black one, and
    > > be sure to use an HP ink tank.

    > Thanks, Stefaan. Well, I did make it to Costco today, but found that
    > the cartridges were little or no less expensive there than to buy
    > online even considering postage. I looked at printers (they sold HP
    > and Epson and sold at least cartridges for Canon though I saw no
    > actual Canon printers) and their prices may be better than elsewhere,
    > but as their membership is $45 per year, it seems you'd have to buy so
    > MUCH to justify driving all that way and paying for membership than to
    > just buy the same darn thing for $10 or $20 elsewhere. Well, I can
    > look into having it repaired, but that still means being unable to
    > print till the problem is resolved one way or another.

    The printheads are user-replaceable. The HP short reference is 14,
    but you get the following items under that header:

    C4920A, C4921A, C4922A, C4923A: Black, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow heads
    C5010D: Tri-colour ink tank
    C5011D: Black ink tank

    If you've printed a lot, then in all likelihood the heads are
    shot. This might be precipitated by getting air in the nozzles
    due to refilling...

    I do however agree that driving a long way for a few dollars
    less is a bad idea, especially if you've got to pay $45/annum
    for membership.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan

    Stefaan A Eeckels, Oct 6, 2004
  18. Agent Orange

    Cori Guest

    Stefaan A Eeckels <> wrote in message news:

    > The printheads are user-replaceable. The HP short reference is 14,
    > but you get the following items under that header:
    >
    > C4920A, C4921A, C4922A, C4923A: Black, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow heads
    > C5010D: Tri-colour ink tank
    > C5011D: Black ink tank
    >
    > If you've printed a lot, then in all likelihood the heads are
    > shot. This might be precipitated by getting air in the nozzles
    > due to refilling...
    >
    > I do however agree that driving a long way for a few dollars
    > less is a bad idea, especially if you've got to pay $45/annum
    > for membership.
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > --
    > Stefaan

    I never had a chance to print what I would even remotely consider a
    lot. The machine is three years old. It sat in the box for a year
    till I could get my workstation set up well enough to take it. When I
    unpacked it, I couldn't connect it to the Mac so it sat for another
    year being used as a photocopier only, not a printer. I finally had
    to pay some computer experts to connect it and do a few other things.
    The same people now say they will look at it. Before I shoot it, they
    will tell me what's wrong, whether they can fix it, and how not to
    have it happen again. I will be upfront that I don't want to pay a
    lot to fix it. As I told them, I went through two cartridges--one
    black, one color--which I refilled for awhile before they quit. The
    second two are in there now. The black worked for awhile, but the
    color went bad from Day One and as soon as I installed it the black
    went bad as well. I don't know if there's any way to drain the
    "non-approved" ink from the cartridges and replace it with "approved"
    ink or whether, if it was the ink which did the damage, I'll be stuck
    replacing the heads and buying new cartridges as well.

    Cori

    Cori, Oct 8, 2004
  19. Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire.Printing will stop.

    On 8 Oct 2004 01:58:17 -0700
    (Cori) wrote:

    > I don't know if there's any way to drain the
    > "non-approved" ink from the cartridges and replace it with "approved"
    > ink or whether, if it was the ink which did the damage, I'll be stuck
    > replacing the heads and buying new cartridges as well.

    The running costs of those printers are quite substantial,
    (which one could/should know upfront :), and _not_ printing
    isn't good for the heads (or at least the quality of the
    output). It does happen that our d155xi sits idle for one
    week (no faxes, no printouts, no copies, as the only thing
    the d155xi _must_ do is receive faxes and we have other
    printers and a b/w photocopier), I need to clean the printheads
    (HP Director|SETTINGS|Maintenance|Clean Printheads) to get
    decent output (if not, the colors are washed out and black
    printing is very uneven).

    You did try cleaning the printheads through the Director menu,
    didn't you?

    --
    Stefaan

    Stefaan A Eeckels, Oct 8, 2004