Re: HP Labtop Wireless Software / Windows Zero Config

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sooner Al \(MVP\), Dec 6, 2006.

  1. "cfe1978" <> wrote in message
    > Labtop:
    > HP Pavillion DV6000
    > Running: XP (HP Media Center addition).
    >
    > "cfe1978" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello -
    >> I'm having problems getting my new HP labtop to reconize a Netgear
    >> Router.
    >> How do I override the software that came preloaded with the HP and use
    >> the
    >> Windows Zero Config? The materials I have found online do no seem to
    >> work
    >> leading to the same response stating to refer to WZC, Document 871122.
    >> (Which
    >> doens't appear to have useful information on this matter).
    >>
    >> I appreciate the response!

    Maybe we need to step back a bit. Can you explain what problems your having
    connecting to the Netgear wireless router? It seems to me that if you have
    issues with the built-in wireless manager your also going to have problems
    with WZC. There is no magic bullet so to speak...

    Can you connect with encryption temporarily turned off on both the Netgear
    router and your laptop?

    Are you broadcasting the network SSID? XP sometimes has an issue connecting
    to an access point that is not broadcasting its SSID.

    Are you selecting the same type of encryption scheme on both the router and
    laptop, ie. WPA-PSK (AES or TKIP) or WEP or WPA2?

    Can you connect to other unencrypted wireless networks like at public
    hotspots in restaurants, bars (my personal favorite), libraries, etc?

    Can you connect to other encrypted networks like at a friends house?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    Sooner Al \(MVP\), Dec 6, 2006

  2. "Sooner Al (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > "cfe1978" <> wrote in message
    >> Labtop:
    >> HP Pavillion DV6000
    >> Running: XP (HP Media Center addition).
    >>
    >> "cfe1978" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello -
    >>> I'm having problems getting my new HP labtop to reconize a Netgear
    >>> Router.
    >>> How do I override the software that came preloaded with the HP and use
    >>> the
    >>> Windows Zero Config? The materials I have found online do no seem to
    >>> work
    >>> leading to the same response stating to refer to WZC, Document 871122.
    >>> (Which
    >>> doens't appear to have useful information on this matter).
    >>>
    >>> I appreciate the response!

    > Maybe we need to step back a bit. Can you explain what problems your
    > having connecting to the Netgear wireless router? It seems to me that if
    > you have issues with the built-in wireless manager your also going to have
    > problems with WZC. There is no magic bullet so to speak...
    >
    > Can you connect with encryption temporarily turned off on both the Netgear
    > router and your laptop?
    >
    > Are you broadcasting the network SSID? XP sometimes has an issue
    > connecting to an access point that is not broadcasting its SSID.
    >
    > Are you selecting the same type of encryption scheme on both the router
    > and laptop, ie. WPA-PSK (AES or TKIP) or WEP or WPA2?
    >
    > Can you connect to other unencrypted wireless networks like at public
    > hotspots in restaurants, bars (my personal favorite), libraries, etc?
    >
    > Can you connect to other encrypted networks like at a friends house?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    I forgot to add that you need to also make sure the router and the HP laptop
    are both using the same type of wireless, ie. 802.11b or 802.11g. If, for
    example, the router is configured for 802.11g only mode and your laptop only
    does 802.11b then it will never connect. Check your users manuals for help
    with that...

    Sooner Al \(MVP\), Dec 6, 2006