Re: HP Color LaserJet CP4005 PCL 6 loses its network connectionintermittently

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Dec 10, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:39:45 -0500, g wrote:

    > Our printer is around 2.5 years old. It is always powered on and has its
    > IP address manually configured like other devices on our network. Once a
    > week when someone tries to print something to it, they cannot. I checked
    > my Event Viewer log and found the following.

    > The document Test Page owned by User failed to print on printer HP CLJ
    > CP4005 PCL6. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes:
    > 81180. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the
    > document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\ABCmachine.
    > Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 1 (0x1).

    > I am running Win XP Prof with Service pack 3. The printer is a shared
    > network printer.
    >

    > Every time it does this, I have to manually reset it by unplugging the
    > printer powercable and network cable, wait for 5 mins and then
    > reconnecting the wires.
    >

    > The printer's network link is set to 100Mbps half duplex as that is how
    > our other devices are configured as our main router is set like that.
    >
    > The printer has enough paper and ink to print.
    >

    > 1. What could be the reason that it prints fine for 5 days, and sixth
    > day it does not and has to be manually reset(unplugging the printer
    > powercable and network cable, wait for 5 mins and then reconnecting the
    > wires) so that it can be used?
    >

    > 2.How can I fix it?
    >

    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I've encountered that several times over the past 10 years. I've worked
    with HP support (commercial support) and have never found an answer.

    Next time the printer goes off line try to ping its IP address. If it
    doesn't respond then the Jet Direct card may be faulty.

    Also, do you have more than one networked computer set to print to the
    HP? If so do all of them loose the ability to print to it? You say it's a
    shared printer but don't mention other computers.

    Meat Plow, Dec 10, 2010