Re: HP 5550 problem.

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by ride80, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. ride80

    ride80 Guest

    Your printer is screwed pal..I had the same printer and EXACT same
    experience. The HP tech concluded that the printer was toast. Fortunately,
    it was still under warranty so they shipped me a new one and I sent them the
    old one back...the new (refurb) seems to be ok right now.

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again
    >
    > In a last-dash effort to fix a problem that I'd referred to earlier

    (asking
    > about subbing out an HP 600 OfficeJet on an XP computer), are there any
    > takers here now?
    >
    > -Computer: New Dell (forget the exact model, one of those newer black
    > boxes), XP home edition. Virus free, no symptoms of any other problem.
    >
    > -Printer: HP DeskJet 5500, now discontinued; the Staples salesperson

    didn't
    > tell me this when he advised me to buy it.
    >
    > PROBLEM: The printer has flipped out. First, the two bottom lights on its
    > console were blinking simultaneously, while any sent print job rolled up,
    > down, and up and down again,until the job finally failed. Message from

    XP:
    > "The job has failed", etc.
    >
    > I went to the HP site, and tried what they suggested, something like,

    power
    > off, remove cartridges, power on, replace cartridges; the blinking lights
    > went away, but the printer still doesn't work. Keeps sending continuous
    > pages of 1-2 line winky-dinks type gibberish, random, meaningless
    > characters; the "failed" message then re-appears.
    >
    > Beyond what the HP site suggested, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
    > drivers (provided by XP itself; the drivers from the HP disk wouldn't

    load:
    > "Not a valid image", or some-such)...I have re-booted the computer several
    > times, and shut the printer down several times. I also tried a different
    > known-good parallel cable. No go.
    >
    > HP tech support tells me that I'll have to walk through a (prolonged,
    > unfruitful? What can I expect from the India outsourcing? please place

    your
    > comments here) troubleshooting process; they also suggested that a USB

    cable
    > may make a difference (I disagree; your comments here, also, please).
    >
    > The guy at Staples (am coming to hate Staples, but this guy seemed
    > knowledgeable and competent) said that the next thing that I try is to

    hold
    > down all three buttons on the console of the printing device, for a "hard"
    > reset. Says that the problem is "between" the computer and the printer,

    and

    ride80, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Maybe .... maybe not.

    One point to consider, HP USB printers will not work through a hub in
    most cases. I don't know why, but many of them won't, they must be
    connected directly to the computer (motherboard port or perhaps (I'm not
    sure of this one) a port on a PCI card).

    Also, it's possible that there are "driver remnants" left in spite of
    the fact that he removed the old drivers (he thinks). The computer
    could be sending Officejet commands to the 5550.

    Finally, of course, his printer may indeed be screwed.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 20, 2003