Re: HOW2 REMOVE GEOTAGS ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John McWilliams, Sep 14, 2011.

  1. On 9/13/11 PDT 12:53 AM, Jerry wrote:>> On 2011-09-12 19:49:45 -0700,
    Jerry<> said:

    >>> I am not a computer expert. I have photos of relatives,
    >>> kids, friends which I want to circulate by email but I'm
    >>> afraid of pedophiles, stalkers etc. locating the people from
    >>> geotags embedded in the photos.
    >>> I need a simple scanning program which will tell me if
    >>> there ARE any tags present, and able to REMOVE them before I
    >>> email the photos to anyone or post them on the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> This must be a common concern and people must be using
    >>> some SIMPLE program to clean the phtos up befoere emailing
    >>> them to friends.
    >>>
    >>> Can you please suggest a SIMPLE program to do this,
    >>> preferably freeware or lowcost.

    > [Jerry]
    > I'm not taking any photos, but I have friends who are not
    > even aware of the problem and I don't want to be responsible
    > for exposing them to risk by forwarding the photos to other
    > friends.

    Then don't do that.
    John McWilliams, Sep 14, 2011

  2. On 14/09/2011 10:14, Jerry wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:42:19 -0700, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:

    >>> [Jerry]
    >>> I'm not taking any photos, but I have friends who are not
    >>> even aware of the problem and I don't want to be responsible
    >>> for exposing them to risk by forwarding the photos to other
    >>> friends.

    >> Then don't do that.
    >>

    > [Jerry]
    > Tell you what; you do the surrendering and I'll nuke the
    > EXIF file using IrfanView like the experts suggest. We'll
    > see who's happier.

    Actually, in this case the "surrendering" is still safer. There
    will be nothing, 100% nothing, transferred to someone, somewhere
    down the line who might end up being questionable.

    Following the "nuke" route still leaves images which someone might
    find 'attractive'. But will potentially also have other information
    in them. The front door of a house, with a number visible. The skyline
    of a town which is identifiable. Some local or national monument or
    tourist feature. And yet you're still passing these on...?

    --
    Andrew Brydon
    Life is just the beta-version of death
    Andrew Brydon, Sep 15, 2011

  3. On 9/14/11 10:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-09-14 22:04:13 -0700, Andrew Brydon <>
    > said:
    >
    >> On 14/09/2011 10:14, Jerry wrote:

    >>> [Jerry]
    >>> Tell you what; you do the surrendering and I'll nuke the
    >>> EXIF file using IrfanView like the experts suggest. We'll
    >>> see who's happier.

    >> Actually, in this case the "surrendering" is still safer. There
    >> will be nothing, 100% nothing, transferred to someone, somewhere
    >> down the line who might end up being questionable.
    >>
    >> Following the "nuke" route still leaves images which someone might
    >> find 'attractive'. But will potentially also have other information
    >> in them. The front door of a house, with a number visible. The skyline
    >> of a town which is identifiable. Some local or national monument or
    >> tourist feature. And yet you're still passing these on...?

    > There is another solution.
    > You could always e-mail friends & family telling them you have this very
    > fetching photograph of your daughter and grandchild outside her elegant
    > townhouse, but before you shared it with them you have had it rendered
    > safe from geotag analyzing felons.
    > Now all can enjoy the image, safe in the knowledge the vulnerable loved
    > ones will be protected.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/loved-ones.jpg >

    Heh..... Or you could use real photos, but lots of layers, creative
    compositing, and come up with some great mis-directs. Instead of little
    Jamie in Great Neck, you could say little Joey in Fargo..... why not add
    erroneous EXIF file showing the GPS coordinates to be in Moscow, Maine.
    John McWilliams, Sep 15, 2011
  4. On 15/09/2011 06:58, John McWilliams wrote:
    > On 9/14/11 10:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2011-09-14 22:04:13 -0700, Andrew Brydon <>
    >> said:

    >>> Actually, in this case the "surrendering" is still safer. There
    >>> will be nothing, 100% nothing, transferred to someone, somewhere
    >>> down the line who might end up being questionable.
    >>>
    >>> Following the "nuke" route still leaves images which someone might
    >>> find 'attractive'. But will potentially also have other information
    >>> in them. The front door of a house, with a number visible. The skyline
    >>> of a town which is identifiable. Some local or national monument or
    >>> tourist feature. And yet you're still passing these on...?

    >> There is another solution.
    >> You could always e-mail friends & family telling them you have this very
    >> fetching photograph of your daughter and grandchild outside her elegant
    >> townhouse, but before you shared it with them you have had it rendered
    >> safe from geotag analyzing felons.
    >> Now all can enjoy the image, safe in the knowledge the vulnerable loved
    >> ones will be protected.
    >> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/loved-ones.jpg >
    >>

    > Heh..... Or you could use real photos, but lots of layers, creative
    > compositing, and come up with some great mis-directs. Instead of little
    > Jamie in Great Neck, you could say little Joey in Fargo..... why not add
    > erroneous EXIF file showing the GPS coordinates to be in Moscow, Maine.

    Or to 37°49′36″N 122°25′24″W, so at least they're in the right place...

    Andrew Brydon, Sep 16, 2011