Re: How To Upgrade BIOS on Old PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. >From: DeMoN LaG n@a
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:09:58 -0000

    > ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in
    >
    >> Don't worry DL, I had a job assembling industrial computers, from
    >> scratch. Installing a BIOS chip in an older mobo, is like installing a
    >> CPU. Unless it is a soldered on SMT, then OP should realize it is
    >> beyond his capabilities. Of course OP has not given specifics of the
    >> mobo, so we are all working blindfolded.

    >No, we aren't. You can not take a BIOS chip from one motherboard and stick
    >it onto a different motherboard and have the board work. The chip is
    >programmed specifically for the board it is installed to.

    OK, you cannot swap from one board to the other, unless of course, both boards
    are the same manufacturer, model, and chip set.

    Or unless you write to the manufacturer of the board, and they send you a kit
    containing a programmed BIOS chip and software to flash it to the lates
    updates.

    Yes or No?

    --

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 16, 2003

  2. caveat lector - reader beware

    Wizard Guest

    Yes, of course there are 3rd party chip makers who can help you as well.

    Wizard, Oct 16, 2003