Re: How to truly check for malware a WinXP System Disk connected through USB to another computer

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gerard Bok, Nov 4, 2008.

  1. Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:38:14 -0300, Juan I. Cahis
    <> wrote:

    >How to truly check for malware a WinXP System Disk connected through
    >USB to another computer?
    >
    >I want to check for malware (keylogger or spyware) a hard disk that it
    >is the system disk of a computer with WinXP, but that I unmounted it,
    >and I connected to another clean computer through an USB port in order
    >to test it.
    >
    >My question is if the Anti-Spyware-Virus-Malware product installed in
    >the System Drive of the *clean* computer will be clever enough to
    >detect that the hard disk I want to check *is* also a System Disk (a
    >passive one in that moment, indeed), and that it will check all the
    >critical issues (Registry, Boot Sector, for example) that you should
    >*not* expect to exist in an external USB connected hard disk.

    Although I am not in the business of writing malware (well, not
    intentionally, anyway :) I could very well figure out ways to
    hide malware in such a way that it would defy detection when the
    disk is mounted as an external disk in an USB enclosure.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Nov 4, 2008