Re: how to transfer laptop to PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Santiago Zawojski, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. "serge" <> wrote in
    news:lTeNa.63147$:

    > How can I tranfer data files from a laptop ( win 98 SE) to my PC (
    > win XP pro)
    >
    > The XP pro is on a home network with another PC ( win 98SE) using a
    > router

    Investigate using "interlnk.exe" and "intersvr.exe", between the win98
    machines.

    You'll need a cable.

    Or, if the data is small and you have a modem you can email it to yourself,
    or put it on a website temporarily.
    Santiago Zawojski, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Santiago Zawojski

    paul s Guest

    Santiago Zawojski wrote:

    > "serge" <> wrote in
    >
    >> How can I tranfer data files from a laptop ( win 98 SE) to my PC (
    >> win XP pro)
    >>
    >> The XP pro is on a home network with another PC ( win 98SE) using a
    >> router

    > Investigate using "interlnk.exe" and "intersvr.exe", between the win98
    > machines.

    As those are MS-DOS tools they will truncate any long-filenames (Microsoft
    would become Micros~1), so it would be a good idea to Winzip anything you
    want to preserve the long-filenames on. And yup those tools do work very
    well with Win 98.

    > You'll need a cable.

    Serial or Parallel will work.

    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 4, 2003

  3. paul s <> wrote in

    > Santiago Zawojski wrote:
    >
    >> "serge" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> How can I tranfer data files from a laptop ( win 98 SE) to my PC (
    >>> win XP pro)
    >>>
    >>> The XP pro is on a home network with another PC ( win 98SE) using a
    >>> router

    >> Investigate using "interlnk.exe" and "intersvr.exe", between the
    >> win98 machines.

    > As those are MS-DOS tools they will truncate any long-filenames
    > (Microsoft would become Micros~1), so it would be a good idea to
    > Winzip anything you want to preserve the long-filenames on. And yup
    > those tools do work very well with Win 98.

    Thanks for the extra information.

    As well as the Long File name thing, if your intersvr machine has fat32 and
    your interlnk machine has fat16 the filenames are gobbledygooky.
    Santiago Zawojski, Jul 7, 2003