Re: How to tell a rank amateur from a seasoned one, or a pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > I don't. You obviously lack real experience with power zoom.
    > You also seem to lack experience with macro modes.

    why do you keep attacking people? you must be threatened.

    > >> That has nothing to do with varifocal versus parfocal, which only refers

    > >It has *everything* to do with varifocal vs. true zoom. With a true zoom
    > >lens, near focus distance does not change with changes in focal length.

    > Nope. But feel free to prove me wrong with an authoritative citation.

    it's been done, even using the sources you provided.

    you dismiss anything that says you're wrong, regardless of the source,
    just like you dismiss the laws of physics when it comes to sensor
    sizes.

    > NOTE: I'm not going to get drawn into a pointless and meaningless
    > debate over the quality of Tamron lenses. If they're good enough for
    > your needs, then by all means use them, but you've effectively conceded
    > the point by doing so.

    have you used that particular lens? no? then you aren't in a position
    to comment. the double-standard rears its head again.

    furthermore, some tamron lenses are outstanding. some are not. what
    matters is how well a particular lens performs. some nikon and canon
    lenses are outstanding and some are not.

    > >> You're actually making disparaging and false characterizations.
    > >> Like your comments on "pushbutton" zoom.

    > >It's just not as fast, easy or precise as a manual zoom, John. Not your
    > >fault, not Panasonic's fault, it's just a limitation of that type of lens.

    > Again, you're simply not in a position to judge either the camera or how
    > I use it.

    you aren't in a position to judge a lens he mentioned or how he uses it.

    > All you can say with any (but not much) validity is that you
    > personally don't like it. Anything more is disparaging.

    which means that your comments about tamron are exactly that.
    nospam, Jul 9, 2010

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Neil
    Harrington <> wrote:

    > >> NOTE: I'm not going to get drawn into a pointless and meaningless
    > >> debate over the quality of Tamron lenses. If they're good enough for
    > >> your needs, then by all means use them, but you've effectively conceded
    > >> the point by doing so.

    > > have you used that particular lens? no? then you aren't in a position
    > > to comment. the double-standard rears its head again.
    > >
    > > furthermore, some tamron lenses are outstanding. some are not. what
    > > matters is how well a particular lens performs. some nikon and canon
    > > lenses are outstanding and some are not.

    > Exactly. John seems to be basing his opinion of lenses entirely on which
    > ones he thinks have more of a prestige brand name. That, after all his
    > insistence that it's only long experience with the particular product that
    > matters.

    he got burned with a crappy third party lens (it might have been
    tamron, i don't remember).

    > >> All you can say with any (but not much) validity is that you
    > >> personally don't like it. Anything more is disparaging.

    > > which means that your comments about tamron are exactly that.

    > Just so. I think I'm going to give up on John. I enjoy a good argument with
    > anyone who can manage a *rational* discussion, by arguing with him is like
    > arguing with a doorknob.

    at least a doorknob serves a purpose :)
    nospam, Jul 9, 2010

  3. nospam

    SMS Guest

    On 09/07/10 2:39 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:

    <snip>

    > Just so. I think I'm going to give up on John. I enjoy a good argument with
    > anyone who can manage a *rational* discussion, by arguing with him is like
    > arguing with a doorknob.

    In fact he enjoys goading people into an argument by being non-rational,
    just as our favorite troll does. Filtering such posters is the most
    effective response. As long as people get into arguments with them it
    makes them happy and they continue their non-rationality.
    SMS, Jul 9, 2010