Re: How to STOP Firefox from detecting my location

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ralph Fox, Mar 15, 2011.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:28:42 -0600, in message <>
    wrote:

    > When I load google in firefox, on the left side of the page it's
    > showing my (approximate) location. The weird thing is that this tends
    > to randomly change to several nearby towns and cities.
    >
    > Anyhow, I am not at all comfortable with this. It's an invasion of
    > privacy, and this is NOT being determined by my ISP location, because
    > my ISP is nowhere nearby.

    Sites can get the location of your IP address from any of several
    databases. And the IP location they get does not have to be the
    location of your ISP's headquarters. These databases may know
    how your ISP allocates its IP addresses geographically.

    From your headers, your IP address is 208.74.247.249.

    Your ISP is "Ace Communications Group" which has its headquarters
    in Houston, Minnesota.

    "IP-address.com" thinks your IP address is in Waukon, Iowa.
    <http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/208.74.247.249>

    MaxMind thinks your IP address is in Harpers Ferry, Iowa.
    <http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_demo_ip?ips=208.74.247.249>

    "What Is My IP Address" thinks your IP address is in Eitzen, Minnesota.
    <http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/208.74.247.249>

    Geobytes thinks your IP address is in La Crescent, Minnesota.
    <http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm>

    > I was told that Firefox has this capability to track people. I cant
    > find any settings to disable it. How do I disable this?

    You want to read this:
    <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/>

    However, even with 'geolocation' disabled, sites can still use
    your IP address to guess *your* location.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Mar 15, 2011