Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by gerry, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. gerry

    gerry Guest

    On Nov 18, 8:49 am, ABC <> wrote:
    > I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    > connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    > cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    > still no CC.
    >
    > Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    > appreiciated
    >
    > ABC

    Strange, the Region 1 DVD of this series, released by BBC Warner, is
    supposed to have English subtitles, so there is no reason to worry
    about decoding line 21 NTSC closed captioniong.

    Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Dvd-video, Subtitled, Ntsc

    gerry, Dec 1, 2008

  2. gerry

    Netmask Guest

    "gerry" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 18, 8:49 am, ABC <> wrote:
    > I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    > connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    > cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    > still no CC.
    >
    > Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    > appreiciated
    >
    > ABC

    Strange, the Region 1 DVD of this series, released by BBC Warner, is
    supposed to have English subtitles, so there is no reason to worry
    about decoding line 21 NTSC closed captioniong.

    Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Dvd-video, Subtitled, Ntsc

    except CC includes information like "sombre music, door closes, car drives
    away etc" whilst subtitles normally just include the actual dialog. It's so
    that folk with hearing difficulties can make better sense of the action
    especially where sound design is a big feature in the editing of the film.

    Netmask, Dec 4, 2008