Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Telstar, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. Telstar

    Telstar Guest

    "ABC" <> wrote in message
    >I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    > connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    > cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    > still no CC.
    >
    > Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    > appreiciated
    >
    > ABC

    Listen carefully, I will say this only once.

    You will need to buy a CC decoder that works with NTSC that outputs to your
    TV in Hong Kong.

    Or watch it on your computer.

    Telstar, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Telstar

    Netmask Guest

    "Telstar" <> wrote in message

    > "ABC" <> wrote in message
    >>I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    >> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    >> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    >> still no CC.
    >>
    >> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    >> appreiciated
    >>
    >> ABC

    > Listen carefully, I will say this only once.
    >
    > You will need to buy a CC decoder that works with NTSC that outputs to
    > your TV in Hong Kong.
    >
    > Or watch it on your computer.

    Hong Kong is PAL soon to change over to the home grown Chinese designed
    system so NTSC is not much use. Also the OP is after DVD CC that really are
    included in the VOB files as bitmaps just like subtitles and normally
    accesable via the disc menu or the subs button on the DVD remote. Line 22 is
    used for CC transmission by PAL TV standards. I think line 21 for the USA

    Netmask, Nov 21, 2008

  3. Telstar

    AnimalMagic Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:46:00 GMT, "Netmask" <> wrote:

    >"Telstar" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ABC" <> wrote in message
    >>>I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    >>> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    >>> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    >>> still no CC.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    >>> appreiciated
    >>>
    >>> ABC

    >> Listen carefully, I will say this only once.
    >>
    >> You will need to buy a CC decoder that works with NTSC that outputs to
    >> your TV in Hong Kong.
    >>
    >> Or watch it on your computer.

    >Hong Kong is PAL soon to change over to the home grown Chinese designed
    >system so NTSC is not much use. Also the OP is after DVD CC that really are
    >included in the VOB files as bitmaps just like subtitles and normally
    >accesable via the disc menu or the subs button on the DVD remote. Line 22 is
    >used for CC transmission by PAL TV standards. I think line 21 for the USA

    So it likely really is a region code issue.

    AnimalMagic, Nov 21, 2008
  4. Telstar

    RickMerrill Guest

    ABC wrote:
    > Just found out why.
    >
    > Many DVD players in the US can decode CC directly.e.g. Philips DVP
    > 3146K
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360108632130
    >
    > Just checked with Philips in Hong Kong. They do not carry it at
    > all.Probably true with all other DVD Dealers. No reason to carry
    > something only used in RPC 1. May be I need to buy one and have it
    > shipped here.
    >
    > sigh....
    >

    > ABC

    Best suggestion I heard was watch it on computer - can u do that?

    RickMerrill, Nov 21, 2008
  5. Telstar

    AnimalMagic Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:07:42 -0500, RickMerrill
    <> wrote:

    >ABC wrote:
    >> Just found out why.
    >>
    >> Many DVD players in the US can decode CC directly.e.g. Philips DVP
    >> 3146K
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360108632130
    >>
    >> Just checked with Philips in Hong Kong. They do not carry it at
    >> all.Probably true with all other DVD Dealers. No reason to carry
    >> something only used in RPC 1. May be I need to buy one and have it
    >> shipped here.
    >>
    >> sigh....
    >>

    >> ABC
    >>

    >Best suggestion I heard was watch it on computer - can u do that?

    LG makes a CD, DVD, HD-DVD, BD-DVD reader for the PC. It comes with
    software to watch movies. I think the model is the H20L.

    Of course, it also reads the data storage forms of the disc types, and
    it would have no problem reading the RW discs, but it would be wiser to
    use media other than RW when you make movie archives in the future. RW
    media has a shorter shelf life for written data as well... another
    drawback.

    I have even had problems reading RW on the PS3, which is fairly new
    stuff.

    AnimalMagic, Nov 21, 2008
  6. Telstar

    Netmask Guest

    "ABC" <> wrote in message
    > Just found out why.
    >
    > Many DVD players in the US can decode CC directly.e.g. Philips DVP
    > 3146K
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360108632130
    >
    > Just checked with Philips in Hong Kong. They do not carry it at
    > all.Probably true with all other DVD Dealers. No reason to carry
    > something only used in RPC 1. May be I need to buy one and have it
    > shipped here.
    >
    > sigh....
    >

    > ABC

    just a thought - how do you connect your dvd player to your TV? Composite
    video? component? HDMI? SVideo?

    Netmask, Nov 22, 2008
  7. Telstar

    Guest

    GMAN wrote:

    > In article <>, ABC <> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:39:18 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    > >wrotd:
    > >
    > >> just a thought - how do you connect your dvd player to your TV? Composite
    > >>video? component? HDMI? SVideo?

    > >Composite. It won't help because the TV does not have a CC decoder
    > >anyway.
    > >
    > >ABC
    > >

    > Doesnt need to, the dvd player has subtitle capability. Closed Captioning is
    > not needed.

    DVD's can have both subtitles and CC (closed captions). The later are
    recorded the same way as a TV broadcast and can only be decoded by the
    TV itself.

    , Nov 24, 2008
  8. Telstar

    RickMerrill Guest

    wrote:
    > GMAN wrote:
    >> In article <>, ABC <> wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:39:18 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    >>> wrotd:

    >>> Composite. It won't help because the TV does not have a CC decoder
    >>> anyway.
    >>>
    >>> ABC
    >>>

    >> Doesnt need to, the dvd player has subtitle capability. Closed Captioning is
    >> not needed.

    > DVD's can have both subtitles and CC (closed captions). The later are
    > recorded the same way as a TV broadcast and can only be decoded by the
    > TV itself.

    Dat's the Fact, jack! But do not the "subtitles" often come with
    language selection, while CC can only come in a single language?

    RickMerrill, Nov 25, 2008