Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by xeaglecrest@att.net, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. Guest

    ABC wrote:

    > I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    > connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    > cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    > still no CC.
    >
    > Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    > appreiciated
    >
    > ABC

    DVD's can have both subtitles and closed captions. Subitles can be
    selected from the DVD menu or the subtitle button on the remote. Closed
    captions are decoded by your TV. Use your TV remote to turn them on or
    off.

    , Nov 18, 2008

  2. Netmask Guest

    "ABC" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:48:59 GMT, wrotd:
    >
    >>ABC wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
    >>> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
    >>> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
    >>> still no CC.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
    >>> appreiciated
    >>>
    >>> ABC

    >>DVD's can have both subtitles and closed captions. Subitles can be
    >>selected from the DVD menu or the subtitle button on the remote. Closed
    >>captions are decoded by your TV. Use your TV remote to turn them on or
    >>off.

    > My TV does not have CC function--I am in Hong Kong. Have not seen any
    > TV with this function here. Is there a decoder I can buy??
    >
    > ABC

    I think the reply was in 2 parts - the first part involved the DVD player
    and using the remote control for the DVD player to turn on or off the
    subtitles or closed captions if the disc has them - sometimes in the setup
    menu of the actual disc there is a selection of CC for hard of hearing or
    subtitles of the actual spoken dialog in a variety of languages.

    Also check the setup of your DVD player, you don't mention a brand, model
    number - maybe you need to turn on subs. Also not all DVD discs have
    subtitles anyway check on the back of the box.

    The second part of the answer was referring to TV transmissions. If theTV is
    Digital TV then it should have a subtitle button on the remote.

    Does Hong Kong use PAL? if so on PAL Digital TV like in Australia where I am
    you should have a subtitle button for your TV programs but this has
    absolutely nothing to do with playing back a DVD.

    Netmask, Nov 19, 2008

  3. "ABC" <> wrote in message

    > HELP. I want to see the CC in the DVD.

    you would need to purchase a CC decoder - but why not just use the subs on
    the dvd instead?

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....

    The dog from that film you saw, Nov 19, 2008
  4. Netmask Guest

    "ABC" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:47:58 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    > wrotd:
    >

    >>Also check the setup of your DVD player, you don't mention a brand, model
    >>number - maybe you need to turn on subs. Also not all DVD discs have
    >>subtitles anyway check on the back of the box.

    > I tried the dvd in 3 players. Philips DVP 5166K, Samsung DVD-V6500 and
    > Panasonic DVD S52. They all have subtitle function but none has the CC
    > function.
    >

    >>The second part of the answer was referring to TV transmissions. If theTV
    >>is
    >>Digital TV then it should have a subtitle button on the remote.

    > The TVs I have are a rear projection Panasonic TC51GF85, and a Samsung
    > Plasma PS42P2SB. Both do not have the subtitle function.
    >

    >>Does Hong Kong use PAL? if so on PAL Digital TV like in Australia where I
    >>am
    >>you should have a subtitle button for your TV programs but this has
    >>absolutely nothing to do with playing back a DVD.

    > HK is still on PAL but all the televisions are multi-systemed. NTSC is
    > no problem. There is just no CC or subtitle button on the TV control.
    >
    > HELP. I want to see the CC in the DVD.
    >
    > ABC

    Are you sure the DVD disc you are trying to look at has CC in addition to
    subtitles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

    What is the name of the DVD?
    My set up works with subs and CC using a DVD Samsung HD-860 - HDMI feeding
    a Samsung LA40R7 LCD TV and my
    Personal Video Recorder is a BeyonWiz DP-P1 that shows subs/cc on live
    digital TV. Most gear here is multisystem as well, no problems with NTSC as
    well as our PAL-M system

    CC as opposed to subtitles on DVD's mostly depends on the title of the film
    and what the producers have decided to include, generally you find the
    option on the disc menu rather than the player.

    Netmask, Nov 19, 2008
  5. Netmask Guest

    "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    > "ABC" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:47:58 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    >> wrotd:
    >>

    >>>Also check the setup of your DVD player, you don't mention a brand, model
    >>>number - maybe you need to turn on subs. Also not all DVD discs have
    >>>subtitles anyway check on the back of the box.

    >> I tried the dvd in 3 players. Philips DVP 5166K, Samsung DVD-V6500 and
    >> Panasonic DVD S52. They all have subtitle function but none has the CC
    >> function.
    >>

    >>>The second part of the answer was referring to TV transmissions. If theTV
    >>>is
    >>>Digital TV then it should have a subtitle button on the remote.

    >> The TVs I have are a rear projection Panasonic TC51GF85, and a Samsung
    >> Plasma PS42P2SB. Both do not have the subtitle function.
    >>

    >>>Does Hong Kong use PAL? if so on PAL Digital TV like in Australia where I
    >>>am
    >>>you should have a subtitle button for your TV programs but this has
    >>>absolutely nothing to do with playing back a DVD.

    >> HK is still on PAL but all the televisions are multi-systemed. NTSC is
    >> no problem. There is just no CC or subtitle button on the TV control.
    >>
    >> HELP. I want to see the CC in the DVD.
    >>
    >> ABC

    > Are you sure the DVD disc you are trying to look at has CC in addition to
    > subtitles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning
    >
    > What is the name of the DVD?
    > My set up works with subs and CC using a DVD Samsung HD-860 - HDMI
    > feeding a Samsung LA40R7 LCD TV and my
    > Personal Video Recorder is a BeyonWiz DP-P1 that shows subs/cc on live
    > digital TV. Most gear here is multisystem as well, no problems with NTSC
    > as well as our PAL-M system
    >
    > CC as opposed to subtitles on DVD's mostly depends on the title of the
    > film and what the producers have decided to include, generally you find
    > the option on the disc menu rather than the player.

    I suspect you will need a decoder box to parse line 22 for PAL system or
    line 21 for NTSC. Apparently HDMI connections don't pass on these lines if
    that is an issue

    Netmask, Nov 19, 2008
  6. Netmask Guest

    "ABC" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:10:21 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    > wrotd:
    >
    >>> What is the name of the DVD?

    > The DVD is the series called "Allo Allo" Region 1 from USA. No
    > subtitle, just CC.
    > http://www.amazon.com/Allo-Complete...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227134758&sr=1-1
    >
    > I played it on my computer with PowerDVD and the CC showed
    > up---PowerDVD has the CC funnction.
    >
    > I guess the CC function is not installed in most of Hong Kong's TV
    > sets.
    >
    >>I suspect you will need a decoder box to parse line 22 for PAL system or
    >>line 21 for NTSC.

    > Which model will do this for me without using RF input? I want to
    > connect through video input by RCA or S-video jack.
    >
    > I am willing to buy one . Just spent $200 on the dvd.......
    >
    > ABC
    > Hong Kong

    Living in Hong Kong with all those video shops I would try to source
    something local. Also check with the local communications authority to see
    if there is a work around or what if any support is given to CC locally. If
    there is a local deaf or hard of hearing society they could possibly assist.
    Otherwise you would have to copy the DVD, demuxing it to extract the CC
    component and then reauthoring as a standard subtitle track..... a daunting
    task but doable.... sometimes CC is accessible via teletext

    Netmask, Nov 20, 2008
  7. Netmask Guest

    "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    > "ABC" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:10:21 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    >> wrotd:

    >> The DVD is the series called "Allo Allo" Region 1 from USA. No
    >> subtitle, just CC.
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Allo-Complete...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227134758&sr=1-1
    >>
    >> I played it on my computer with PowerDVD and the CC showed
    >> up---PowerDVD has the CC funnction.
    >>
    >> I guess the CC function is not installed in most of Hong Kong's TV
    >> sets.
    >>
    >>>I suspect you will need a decoder box to parse line 22 for PAL system or
    >>>line 21 for NTSC.

    >> Which model will do this for me without using RF input? I want to
    >> connect through video input by RCA or S-video jack.
    >>
    >> I am willing to buy one . Just spent $200 on the dvd.......
    >>
    >> ABC
    >> Hong Kong

    > Living in Hong Kong with all those video shops I would try to source
    > something local. Also check with the local communications authority to
    > see if there is a work around or what if any support is given to CC
    > locally. If there is a local deaf or hard of hearing society they could
    > possibly assist. Otherwise you would have to copy the DVD, demuxing it to
    > extract the CC component and then reauthoring as a standard subtitle
    > track..... a daunting task but doable.... sometimes CC is accessible via
    > teletext

    I found this page (local Australian site might be of help?)

    http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=8

    Netmask, Nov 20, 2008
  8. AnimalMagic Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:47:50 +0800, ABC <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:10:21 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    >wrotd:
    >
    >>> What is the name of the DVD?

    >The DVD is the series called "Allo Allo" Region 1 from USA. No
    >subtitle, just CC.
    >http://www.amazon.com/Allo-Complete...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227134758&sr=1-1
    >
    >I played it on my computer with PowerDVD and the CC showed
    >up---PowerDVD has the CC funnction.
    >
    >I guess the CC function is not installed in most of Hong Kong's TV
    >sets.
    >
    >>I suspect you will need a decoder box to parse line 22 for PAL system or
    >>line 21 for NTSC.

    >Which model will do this for me without using RF input? I want to
    >connect through video input by RCA or S-video jack.
    >
    >I am willing to buy one . Just spent $200 on the dvd.......
    >
    >ABC
    >Hong Kong

    Pump it through a PS3. It is a great upscaling DVD player (as well as
    much more) and it puts out a host a ways that are likely compatible with
    your TV. You have to get the PAL PS3??? or put it out on the S-video
    jack.

    Maybe your TV is ZOOMed in. Have you investigated your aspect ratio
    settings? Some of your video could be off screen.

    AnimalMagic, Nov 21, 2008
  9. RickMerrill Guest

    AnimalMagic wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:47:50 +0800, ABC <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:10:21 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    >> wrotd:

    >> The DVD is the series called "Allo Allo" Region 1 from USA. No
    >> subtitle, just CC.
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Allo-Complete...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227134758&sr=1-1
    >>
    >> I played it on my computer with PowerDVD and the CC showed
    >> up---PowerDVD has the CC funnction.
    >>
    >> I guess the CC function is not installed in most of Hong Kong's TV
    >> sets.
    >>
    >>> I suspect you will need a decoder box to parse line 22 for PAL system or
    >>> line 21 for NTSC.

    >> Which model will do this for me without using RF input? I want to
    >> connect through video input by RCA or S-video jack.
    >>
    >> I am willing to buy one . Just spent $200 on the dvd.......
    >>
    >> ABC
    >> Hong Kong

    > Pump it through a PS3. It is a great upscaling DVD player (as well as
    > much more) and it puts out a host a ways that are likely compatible with
    > your TV. You have to get the PAL PS3??? or put it out on the S-video
    > jack.
    >
    > Maybe your TV is ZOOMed in. Have you investigated your aspect ratio
    > settings? Some of your video could be off screen.

    "zoomed in" - brilliant observation: I bet you've done this yourself!-)

    RickMerrill, Nov 21, 2008
  10. AnimalMagic Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:12:08 -0500, RickMerrill
    <> wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:47:50 +0800, ABC <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:10:21 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    >>> wrotd:

    >>> The DVD is the series called "Allo Allo" Region 1 from USA. No
    >>> subtitle, just CC.
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Allo-Complete...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227134758&sr=1-1
    >>>
    >>> I played it on my computer with PowerDVD and the CC showed
    >>> up---PowerDVD has the CC funnction.
    >>>
    >>> I guess the CC function is not installed in most of Hong Kong's TV
    >>> sets.

    >>> Which model will do this for me without using RF input? I want to
    >>> connect through video input by RCA or S-video jack.
    >>>
    >>> I am willing to buy one . Just spent $200 on the dvd.......
    >>>
    >>> ABC
    >>> Hong Kong

    >> Pump it through a PS3. It is a great upscaling DVD player (as well as
    >> much more) and it puts out a host a ways that are likely compatible with
    >> your TV. You have to get the PAL PS3??? or put it out on the S-video
    >> jack.
    >>
    >> Maybe your TV is ZOOMed in. Have you investigated your aspect ratio
    >> settings? Some of your video could be off screen.

    >"zoomed in" - brilliant observation: I bet you've done this yourself!-)

    You're a fucking retard. I knew about proper aspect ratios when you
    and Cindy Sue were playing doctor out in Daddy's garage.

    I have been around film collecting since the Laser Disc era, so I have
    it covered on fucking display technology, you retarded, presumptuous
    twit!

    So, in your case, there is no such thing as a brilliant observation,
    since your skull is so goddamned thick that you don't even know what a
    valid observation is, due to your stupidity blinding you.

    AnimalMagic, Nov 21, 2008
  11. RickMerrill Guest

    AnimalMagic wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:12:08 -0500, RickMerrill
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> AnimalMagic wrote:

    >>> Pump it through a PS3. It is a great upscaling DVD player (as well as
    >>> much more) and it puts out a host a ways that are likely compatible with
    >>> your TV. You have to get the PAL PS3??? or put it out on the S-video
    >>> jack.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe your TV is ZOOMed in. Have you investigated your aspect ratio
    >>> settings? Some of your video could be off screen.

    >> "zoomed in" - brilliant observation: I bet you've done this yourself!-)

    You misunderstood me as I really was trying to pay a compliment for a
    fine thinking-outside-the-box idea.

    RickMerrill, Nov 21, 2008
  12. AnimalMagic Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:37:52 -0500, RickMerrill
    <> wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:12:08 -0500, RickMerrill
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> "zoomed in" - brilliant observation: I bet you've done this yourself!-)

    >You misunderstood me as I really was trying to pay a compliment for a
    >fine thinking-outside-the-box idea.

    I'm an asshole, especially when I am in an off-mood day.

    Doesn't read like a compliment in any case.

    AnimalMagic, Nov 21, 2008