Re: How to replace CMOS battery in Winbook X1?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PC Component, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. PC Component

    PC Component Guest

    wdg@[206.180.145.133] wrote in

    > My Winboox X1 keeps losing its CMOS settings everytime I disconnect
    > the power cord.
    >
    > I've had the bottom cover off but didn't see the CMOS battery. What's
    > involved in replacing it?
    >
    > Also, this laptop has 128 megs of Ram. I'd like to replace that with
    > 256 Megs but when I had the cover open all I saw was one stick of 64
    > megs that was removable. The remainder was soldered on to the
    > motherboard. What are my options?
    >
    > It's been a good laptop, has W2K(pro) on it and suites my needs, I'd
    > just like to fix the CMOS batt problem and put some more ram into it.
    >
    > Help appreciated.

    The CMOS battery is usually a CR-2032 and it looks like a large watch
    battery. You probably have to take the laptop apart. Sometimes it's under
    the keyboard area (on laptops with top removable keyboards). Just dig
    around and you'll find it, unless it uses an RTC, in that case it's a
    little black box.

    In order to upgrade the memory, it sounds like you'll have to give up the
    stick you currently have. My guess is it'll take no more than a 128mb
    stick.

    --
    -=/ www.PC-Componenet.com /=-
    Parts and Service