Re: How to keep a HD awake?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DevilsPGD, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    ersity was claimed to have wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:13:16 -0800, Bill <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>> I've had it installed as internal, external USB and external esata, but it makes no difference.
    >>>

    >> So, exactly which model 500GB Seagate drive do you have? Entire
    >>Model designation please.
    >>
    >> Bill

    >ST3500820AS, and a search of Seagates website doesn't find it, as others have found out, though I
    >seems it's the same as the ST3500320AS, but with an 8mb cache instead of 32mb.

    Check out this article:
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=203791&Hilite=ST3500820AS SD04

    |Below are the Barracuda 7200.11 model numbers. If the orange digit is
    |any number other than those shown, Seagate recommends that you update
    |the firmware on your drive:

    500 GB
    ST3500*3*20AS

    I've got one or more of these as well (one that I've patched, the rest
    are in RAID arrays and are scheduled to be upgraded over the next few
    weeks), the fix would have taken you up to the bricking firmware, so the
    correct fix is now the same as the bricking issue:

    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

    Click on the "ST3500820AS" link, then download and upgrade, your drive
    will end up as a ST3500320AS running firmware SD1a, performance may
    increase noticeably (depending on your usage pattern), as well as
    avoiding the entire bricking issue.
    DevilsPGD, Jan 27, 2009