Re: How to keep a HD awake?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    ersity wrote:

    > I have a 500gb Seagate drive which has power settings that don't seem to be influenced by Vista.
    > After a few minutes of inactivity, the drive goes to sleep, and while it might help stop global
    > warming, I am finding it extremely annoying having to keep waiting for the drive to spin up.
    >
    > Is there any way I can keep the drive active so that it doesn't drop off to sleep?

    http://blog.windowsvistamagazine.co.uk/resources/windowsvista/windows-vista-power-options2.jpg

    Edit an existing power plan or create your own.

    http://www.computerdoctors-rx.com/images/PowerOptions2Scaled.jpg

    Scroll down to the drive power options and choose Never.

    http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/D/116365/original/power-options.png

    Did you already check the power options, change them as you wish, and
    reboot to find that they aren't applied?

    Are we supposed to know if you are asking about a desktop or laptop
    computer? You never bothered to mention brand and model, and we aren't
    there to look at it. Laptop and mobile computers often come with their
    own power management features and software.

    VanguardLH, Jan 24, 2009

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    ersity wrote:

    > The computer is one I built, so no brand name or model.

    Start looking the BIOS for power options.
    Start looking at the drive specs to see if it has power saving features.

    VanguardLH, Jan 28, 2009

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    ersity wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:03:40 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The computer is one I built, so no brand name or model.

    >>Start looking the BIOS for power options.
    >>Start looking at the drive specs to see if it has power saving features.

    > A bit more searching on the Seagate website, and the use of their Seatools, shows me that this HDD,
    > along with other Seagate drives, has *Mandatory* Power Management and, Advanced Power Management
    > isn't supported. So it looks like the power management is built into the drive and can't be
    > controlled. Looks like I have to put up with it, and not buy Seagate next time.
    >
    > Thanks all, for your replies.

    Do their tools allow you to configure how long before the drive goes
    into low-power mode?

    Was this for a desktop or laptop? If a desktop, was the hard disk
    designed for laptop use? Laptops are always trying to squeak out the
    last milliamp from their batteries for longer life so spinning down the
    disks is obviously one way to conserve battery power. They don't trust
    that users will configure their power options for optimal use (because
    most users aren't sure what is their optimal use). You don't want to
    put a hard disk designed for laptop usage into a desktop.

    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...ecadd110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US
    "Leverages Seagate laptop power management technology ..."
    Yeah, whatever that is.

    http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/...ook/momentus/7200.4 (Holliday)/100534376a.pdf
    Power-management modes, page 10
    "In most systems, you can control power management through the system
    setup program."
    Oh, system setup program. Clear as mud. Don't know if that means
    BIOS-level power control or OS-level power options. Did you ever go
    into Device Manager and look at the properties for the Seagate hard disk
    to see if perchance it has a power management tab added?

    You might have to call Seagate's tech support to get past their
    marketspeak babble.

    VanguardLH, Jan 28, 2009