Re: How to keep a HD awake?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Art, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. Art

    Art Guest

    ersity wrote:
    > I have a 500gb Seagate drive which has power settings that don't seem to be influenced by Vista.
    > After a few minutes of inactivity, the drive goes to sleep, and while it might help stop global
    > warming, I am finding it extremely annoying having to keep waiting for the drive to spin up.
    >
    > Is there any way I can keep the drive active so that it doesn't drop off to sleep?

    I have a Linksys network drive (NAS200) that has 2 choices for disk
    standby. 15 minutes or 30 minutes. I got tired of waiting for it to spin
    up so I created a batch file that simply does a directory listing of the
    NAS root directory to a file then set it up as a scheduled task to run
    every 25 minutes. That keeps it awake forever.

    I don't know shit about Vista, can it run a batch file from scheduled
    tasks? Does it even have scheduled tasks?

    --
    Art

    Art, Jan 24, 2009

  2. Art

    John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:15:06 -0500, Art <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have a 500gb Seagate drive which has power settings that don't
    >>> seem to be influenced by Vista. After a few minutes of inactivity,
    >>> the drive goes to sleep, and while it might help stop global
    >>> warming, I am finding it extremely annoying having to keep waiting
    >>> for the drive to spin up.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way I can keep the drive active so that it doesn't drop
    >>> off to sleep?

    >>I have a Linksys network drive (NAS200) that has 2 choices for disk
    >>standby. 15 minutes or 30 minutes. I got tired of waiting for it to
    >>spin up so I created a batch file that simply does a directory listing
    >>of the NAS root directory to a file then set it up as a scheduled task
    >>to run every 25 minutes. That keeps it awake forever.
    >>
    >>I don't know shit about Vista, can it run a batch file from scheduled
    >>tasks? Does it even have scheduled tasks?

    > Thanks for giving me incentive to look at batch files again. I didn't
    > want a window popping up when it ran, but I found a freeware compiler
    > that creates an *.exe from the batch file and allows it to run hidden.
    >
    > Vista does have a task scheduler, but I use a little freeware app that
    > is much easier to set up.

    Did it ever occur to you that a running batch file will stay in memory
    untill it ends? So will your "compiled" exe file.

    ..exe files compiled from batch files are memory eating bitches. Stay away
    from it.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jan 27, 2009