Re: How to hide IP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DC, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. DC

    DC Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2005-12-10, SS <> wrote:
    >> Need something that will work on Win98SE

    > A more sophisticated way of hiding, is to use the 'Tor' system - a web
    > search will get you information about that. However, the computers you
    > actually connect to directly will still know your IP number.

    Have you actually used Tor? I spied a link to it on the EFF page so I
    read a bit about it. Sonds kinda neat. I was wondering if there was
    any degradation in speed, in your experience. I assume that there will
    be, since you are at the mercy of the "network", but I'd like a
    firsthand account.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
    -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-
    DC, Dec 10, 2005

  2. DC

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-10, DC <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2005-12-10, SS <> wrote:
    >>> Need something that will work on Win98SE

    >> A more sophisticated way of hiding, is to use the 'Tor' system - a web
    >> search will get you information about that. However, the computers you
    >> actually connect to directly will still know your IP number.

    > Have you actually used Tor? I spied a link to it on the EFF page so I
    > read a bit about it. Sonds kinda neat. I was wondering if there was
    > any degradation in speed, in your experience. I assume that there will
    > be, since you are at the mercy of the "network", but I'd like a
    > firsthand account.

    I haven't touched it. I would be amazed if there weren't a significant
    loss of 'speed' and extra 'lag', as well as packets getting out of
    sequence, but it would be worth it for 'resistors' or 'dissidents' trying
    to evade capture in repressive countries.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 10, 2005

  3. DC

    DC Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2005-12-10, DC <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> A more sophisticated way of hiding, is to use the 'Tor' system - a web
    >>> search will get you information about that. However, the computers you
    >>> actually connect to directly will still know your IP number.

    >> Have you actually used Tor? I spied a link to it on the EFF page so I
    >> read a bit about it. Sonds kinda neat. I was wondering if there was
    >> any degradation in speed, in your experience. I assume that there will
    >> be, since you are at the mercy of the "network", but I'd like a
    >> firsthand account.

    > I haven't touched it. I would be amazed if there weren't a significant
    > loss of 'speed' and extra 'lag', as well as packets getting out of
    > sequence, but it would be worth it for 'resistors' or 'dissidents' trying
    > to evade capture in repressive countries.

    I agree re: lag. Thanks for your comments.

    DC, Dec 10, 2005