Re: How to get an "old fashioned" look?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASCII, Jun 7, 2011.

  1. ASCII

    ASCII Guest

    Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    >While taking photos at wedding, I just happened to catch my daughter
    >in a pose that looks like something out of the 1800s. My mom just
    >loves it. I'd like to have it "finished" to look like it was taken 100
    >years ago (or whenever old photos were taken).
    >
    >Can anyone help me with where to go and what to ask for?

    Maybe your post processing software can render it in 'sepia'?
    ....and when you take it to be printed try an oval mask.
    ASCII, Jun 7, 2011

  2. ASCII

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:18:55 -0700, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:53:53 -0700, ASCII <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>While taking photos at wedding, I just happened to catch my daughter in
    >>>a pose that looks like something out of the 1800s. My mom just loves
    >>>it. I'd like to have it "finished" to look like it was taken 100 years
    >>>ago (or whenever old photos were taken).
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone help me with where to go and what to ask for?

    >>Maybe your post processing software can render it in 'sepia'? ...and
    >>when you take it to be printed try an oval mask.

    > I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work if
    > I did. I did see some references to "sepia" online, including a detailed
    > description of extracting the ink from the common cuttlefish.
    >
    > I do have an antique oval frame in mind.

    I understand your reluctance, but it's really not rocket science. GIMP is
    a free download from gimp.org. A simple web search (google, if you will)
    for "gimp sepia" produces at least one tutorial: http://www.gimp.org/
    tutorials/Sepia_Toning/. Then copy it to a memory card or flash drive and
    take it to your favourite phot printing service. You can easily then make
    an oval matte. All done.
    ray, Jun 8, 2011

  3. ASCII

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:39:46 -0700, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    > On 8 Jun 2011 01:33:53 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >>> I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work
    >>> if I did. I did see some references to "sepia" online, including a
    >>> detailed description of extracting the ink from the common cuttlefish.
    >>>
    >>> I do have an antique oval frame in mind.

    >>I understand your reluctance, but it's really not rocket science. GIMP
    >>is a free download from gimp.org. A simple web search (google, if you
    >>will) for "gimp sepia" produces at least one tutorial:
    >>http://www.gimp.org/ tutorials/Sepia_Toning/. Then copy it to a memory
    >>card or flash drive and take it to your favourite phot printing service.
    >>You can easily then make an oval matte. All done.

    > I did find another tutorial that was more basic. Here's the long URL
    >
    > http://emptyeasel.com/2008/10/17/how-to-create-sepia-tone-photographs-

    from-color-photos-in-gimp/

    > and the tiny one: http://tinyurl.com/3exokd4
    >
    > I got this one to work. Now the problem is my lack of artistic judgment.
    > I got several variations that look OK to me. But I still think I should
    > have someone who knows what they are doing do it.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    I'm glad you took the plunge :) Maybe you'll decide to 'experiment' some
    more.
    ray, Jun 8, 2011
  4. ASCII

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:23:03 -0700, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    > On 8 Jun 2011 01:33:53 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >>> I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work
    >>> if I did. I did see some references to "sepia" online, including a
    >>> detailed description of extracting the ink from the common cuttlefish.
    >>>
    >>> I do have an antique oval frame in mind.

    >>I understand your reluctance, but it's really not rocket science.

    > Actually, I think I'd have a better chance as a rocket scientist ;-)
    >
    >>GIMP is
    >>a free download from gimp.org. A simple web search (google, if you will)
    >>for "gimp sepia" produces at least one tutorial: http://www.gimp.org/
    >>tutorials/Sepia_Toning/. Then copy it to a memory card or flash drive
    >>and take it to your favourite phot printing service. You can easily then
    >>make an oval matte. All done.

    > OK, I downloaded GIMP with only a couple of anxious moments.
    >
    > I was able to load my photo.
    >
    > I found the tutorial at http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Sepia_Toning/,
    > just as like you said. That's where the joy ran out.
    >
    > I could not figure out how to load "Script-fu: Decor/Old Photo".
    >
    > I did find Script-Fu under Filters. It had three options:
    >
    > 1. Console
    > 2. Refresh Scripts
    > 3. Start Server...
    >
    > I tried Console and was able to locate something named
    > "script-fu-old-photo", but it was by a different author and I couldn't
    > get it to do anything.
    >
    > I then tried Refresh Scripts, which didn't seem to do anything.
    >
    > Finally, I tried Start Server. I got a message about a server port
    > (10008), so I clicked Start Server. My firewall complained loudly, but
    > throwing caution to the winds, I clicked Unblock. As far as I could
    > tell, nothing happened.
    >
    > See, even a tutorial is too much for me.

    Depends, I think, on which version you have and what, in particular, is
    installed with it. I found, in GIMP, FX-Foundry->Photo->Effects->Sepia
    Toning.
    ray, Jun 8, 2011
  5. ASCII

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:23:03 -0700, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    > On 8 Jun 2011 01:33:53 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >>> I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work if
    >>> I did. I did see some references to "sepia" online, including a detailed
    >>> description of extracting the ink from the common cuttlefish.
    >>>
    >>> I do have an antique oval frame in mind.

    >>I understand your reluctance, but it's really not rocket science.

    > Actually, I think I'd have a better chance as a rocket scientist ;-)
    >
    >>GIMP is
    >>a free download from gimp.org. A simple web search (google, if you will)
    >>for "gimp sepia" produces at least one tutorial: http://www.gimp.org/
    >>tutorials/Sepia_Toning/. Then copy it to a memory card or flash drive and
    >>take it to your favourite phot printing service. You can easily then make
    >>an oval matte. All done.

    > OK, I downloaded GIMP with only a couple of anxious moments.
    >
    > I was able to load my photo.
    >
    > I found the tutorial at http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Sepia_Toning/,
    > just as like you said. That's where the joy ran out.
    >
    > I could not figure out how to load "Script-fu: Decor/Old Photo".
    >
    > I did find Script-Fu under Filters. It had three options:
    >
    > 1. Console
    > 2. Refresh Scripts
    > 3. Start Server...
    >
    > I tried Console and was able to locate something named
    > "script-fu-old-photo", but it was by a different author and I couldn't
    > get it to do anything.
    >
    > I then tried Refresh Scripts, which didn't seem to do anything.
    >
    > Finally, I tried Start Server. I got a message about a server port
    > (10008), so I clicked Start Server. My firewall complained loudly, but
    > throwing caution to the winds, I clicked Unblock. As far as I could
    > tell, nothing happened.
    >
    > See, even a tutorial is too much for me.

    There is quite a steep learning curve to using GIMP.
    A much easier one for a beginner is Irfanview,
    a free download from
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    After installation, just open the file with your picture,
    click on Image, then Effects /Sepia then Save the result.
    Irwell, Jun 8, 2011
  6. ASCII

    Robert Coe Guest

    Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    : I have no photo processing skills at all.

    And later:
    : I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work
    : if I did.

    And still later:
    : I've used IrfanView for years.

    The more I read of this thread, the less sense it makes.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 14, 2011
  7. ASCII

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:51:12 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    >: I have no photo processing skills at all.
    >
    >And later:
    >: I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work
    >: if I did.
    >
    >And still later:
    >: I've used IrfanView for years.
    >
    >The more I read of this thread, the less sense it makes.

    Many people use IrfanView as a viewer and don't realize that it has
    editing capabilities.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 14, 2011
  8. ASCII

    ASCII Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    >Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    >: I have no photo processing skills at all.
    >
    >And later:
    >: I don't have any photo processing software and couldn't make it work
    >: if I did.
    >
    >And still later:
    >: I've used IrfanView for years.
    >
    >The more I read of this thread, the less sense it makes.
    >
    >Bob

    Sometimes those trolling for attention
    will trip themselves up over a period of time.
    ASCII, Jun 14, 2011