Re: How to get an "old fashioned" look?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jun 7, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:00:24 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >While taking photos at wedding, I just happened to catch my daughter
    >in a pose that looks like something out of the 1800s. My mom just
    >loves it. I'd like to have it "finished" to look like it was taken 100
    >years ago (or whenever old photos were taken).
    >
    >Can anyone help me with where to go and what to ask for?
    >
    >It's a digital photo taken with a Sony CyberShot DSC-W150. Yes, it's a
    >P&S. But I figure that the slightly lower quality resolution won't be
    >a problem for what I am trying to do.
    >
    >The file is 2.7 MB.
    >
    >Is there a place that will print a digital photo on a tintype?
    >
    >Any help is appreciated.

    You haven't mentioned what post-processing program or ability you
    have. It's in post-processing that this is done.

    If you don't have anything in that area, upload your image into a free
    image hosting program like PhotoBucket ( http://photobucket.com/ ) and
    give a link to it here. Chances are pretty good that someone will age
    it for you and give you a link back to it so you can get it printed.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 7, 2011

  2. On 6/7/11 PDT 6:15 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:.

    > Maybe I'm being silly, but I am reluctant to upload a family photo to
    > the world. I was hoping someone could recommend a reputable online
    > company that does this sort of thing.

    No, I think that's being prudent. At the same time, my knowledge of some
    of the participants here over the last several years suggests that Alan,
    SavageDuck, tony, and myself all have the knowledge and taste to both do
    a nice job as well as not mess around with it in the form of unwanted
    distribution. Of course I recommend myself, but suggest the others
    instead. For those I didn't name, it's simply I don't have enough
    experience.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 8, 2011

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:15:48 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:43:05 -0400, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:00:24 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>While taking photos at wedding, I just happened to catch my daughter
    >>>in a pose that looks like something out of the 1800s. My mom just
    >>>loves it. I'd like to have it "finished" to look like it was taken 100
    >>>years ago (or whenever old photos were taken).
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone help me with where to go and what to ask for?
    >>>
    >>>It's a digital photo taken with a Sony CyberShot DSC-W150. Yes, it's a
    >>>P&S. But I figure that the slightly lower quality resolution won't be
    >>>a problem for what I am trying to do.
    >>>
    >>>The file is 2.7 MB.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a place that will print a digital photo on a tintype?
    >>>
    >>>Any help is appreciated.

    >>You haven't mentioned what post-processing program or ability you
    >>have. It's in post-processing that this is done.

    >I have no photo processing skills at all. I was hoping to find someone
    >who would do it for me. I tried a few Internet searches, but the ones
    >I found made the photo look like it was decomposing.
    >
    >>If you don't have anything in that area, upload your image into a free
    >>image hosting program like PhotoBucket ( http://photobucket.com/ ) and
    >>give a link to it here. Chances are pretty good that someone will age
    >>it for you and give you a link back to it so you can get it printed.

    >Maybe I'm being silly, but I am reluctant to upload a family photo to
    >the world. I was hoping someone could recommend a reputable online
    >company that does this sort of thing.

    Then, I suggest, open the Yellow Pages in your area to Photographers
    and start calling. Almost any professional photographer will own
    Adobe Photoshop and will be able to convert your image to that
    old-fashioned look. Most will be able to show you examples of other
    images that they have converted to this style. They will be able to
    give you a price in advance.

    You'll pay a good price for this, but you'll have control over the
    image and be dealing with someone face-to-face. Keep in mind, when
    the photographer quotes you a price, that he/she did not earn any
    revenue from shooting the picture so he/she is entitled to be paid for
    the service at - probably - an hour's studio time.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 8, 2011
  4. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/7/2011 10:10 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:15:48 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    > <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Maybe I'm being silly, but I am reluctant to upload a family photo to
    >> the world. I was hoping someone could recommend a reputable online
    >> company that does this sort of thing.

    > Then, I suggest, open the Yellow Pages in your area to Photographers
    > and start calling. Almost any professional photographer will own
    > Adobe Photoshop and will be able to convert your image to that
    > old-fashioned look. Most will be able to show you examples of other
    > images that they have converted to this style. They will be able to
    > give you a price in advance.
    >
    > You'll pay a good price for this, but you'll have control over the
    > image and be dealing with someone face-to-face. Keep in mind, when
    > the photographer quotes you a price, that he/she did not earn any
    > revenue from shooting the picture so he/she is entitled to be paid for
    > the service at - probably - an hour's studio time.

    Another alternative is to find a local graphic artist. (The going rate
    in NY is between $25-$30 per hour. Then if you want a print, have the
    image processed at Costco. They are quick and reliable. You might want
    to talk to the folks behind the counter and a 1hr processing center.
    Many are graphic artists and would be happy to earn some extra money.

    HTH

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jun 8, 2011
  5. tony cooper

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 08/06/2011 02:15, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:43:05 -0400, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:00:24 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> While taking photos at wedding, I just happened to catch my daughter
    >>> in a pose that looks like something out of the 1800s. My mom just
    >>> loves it. I'd like to have it "finished" to look like it was taken 100
    >>> years ago (or whenever old photos were taken).
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me with where to go and what to ask for?
    >>>
    >>> It's a digital photo taken with a Sony CyberShot DSC-W150. Yes, it's a
    >>> P&S. But I figure that the slightly lower quality resolution won't be
    >>> a problem for what I am trying to do.
    >>>
    >>> The file is 2.7 MB.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a place that will print a digital photo on a tintype?
    >>>
    >>> Any help is appreciated.

    >> You haven't mentioned what post-processing program or ability you
    >> have. It's in post-processing that this is done.

    > I have no photo processing skills at all. I was hoping to find someone
    > who would do it for me. I tried a few Internet searches, but the ones
    > I found made the photo look like it was decomposing.

    Your best bet is to find someone fairly local and specify to them
    exactly what you want in terms of monochrome and sepia (or other) tint.

    Some of the ones that add extra "age" effects are decidedly OTT. I
    presume you do want an old style but new looking image here as opposed
    to a faked antique image with appropriate distressing.

    >> If you don't have anything in that area, upload your image into a free
    >> image hosting program like PhotoBucket ( http://photobucket.com/ ) and
    >> give a link to it here. Chances are pretty good that someone will age
    >> it for you and give you a link back to it so you can get it printed.

    > Maybe I'm being silly, but I am reluctant to upload a family photo to
    > the world. I was hoping someone could recommend a reputable online
    > company that does this sort of thing.

    That is probably sensible. You might be able to do it for yourself in
    something like Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 or whichever is most heavily
    discounted at the moment and then have it printed at a normal lab.

    It will surely be cheaper than having a professional do it for you - and
    even if you decide you can't do it well enough having a rough example of
    what you want done to it might well be helpful.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jun 8, 2011
  6. On 6/12/11 6:34 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2011-06-12 09:29 , Alan Browne wrote:
    >> On 2011-06-12 09:19 , Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    >>> Thank you for your kind offer. I have been torn by it and trying to
    >>> decide what to do. I'm sure you are sincere, but I just cannot bring
    >>> myself to send a photo of a child to someone I don't know. I apologize
    >>> if I'm overreacting, I mean no offense.

    >> Hi Jenifer, I can vouch for McWilliams.
    >>
    >> You could trust him with your images and he won't keep the images and he
    >> won't send copies of the originals or derived works to anyone but you.
    >>

    > Oh, and Tony (Florida) or Savageduck too. Upright gentlemen.

    Yes, on all the above. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting myself, but do
    appreciate the OK by Alan. (He and I lock horns somewhat regularly.)

    No one will have his nose out of joint if you choose to not send! It's
    all all right.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 12, 2011
  7. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/12/2011 9:29 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2011-06-12 09:19 , Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    >> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 18:21:15 -0700, John McWilliams
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> No, I think that's being prudent. At the same time, my knowledge of some
    >>> of the participants here over the last several years suggests that Alan,
    >>> SavageDuck, tony, and myself all have the knowledge and taste to both do
    >>> a nice job as well as not mess around with it in the form of unwanted
    >>> distribution. Of course I recommend myself, but suggest the others
    >>> instead. For those I didn't name, it's simply I don't have enough
    >>> experience.

    >> Thank you for your kind offer. I have been torn by it and trying to
    >> decide what to do. I'm sure you are sincere, but I just cannot bring
    >> myself to send a photo of a child to someone I don't know. I apologize
    >> if I'm overreacting, I mean no offense.

    > Hi Jenifer, I can vouch for McWilliams.
    >
    > You could trust him with your images and he won't keep the images and he
    > won't send copies of the originals or derived works to anyone but you.
    >
    > As to me I'm not volunteering. Too much other crap to do.

    How does she know you're you.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jun 12, 2011
  8. tony cooper

    John Turco Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > >> Thank you for your kind offer. I have been torn by it and trying to
    > >> decide what to do. I'm sure you are sincere, but I just cannot bring
    > >> myself to send a photo of a child to someone I don't know. I apologize
    > >> if I'm overreacting, I mean no offense.

    > > Hi Jenifer, I can vouch for McWilliams.
    > >
    > > You could trust him with your images and he won't keep the images and he
    > > won't send copies of the originals or derived works to anyone but you.
    > >

    > Oh, and Tony (Florida) or Savageduck too. Upright gentlemen.

    I take umbrage! Why is my noble name excluded, from such illustrious
    company?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011
  9. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/30/2011 2:38 AM, John Turco wrote:

    > I take umbrage! Why is my noble name excluded, from such illustrious
    > company?

    I use umbrage for protection from the rain.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jun 30, 2011