Re: How to get a faster comp for audio editing ?????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hp, Oct 22, 2010.

  1. Hp

    Hp Guest

    On 10/21/2010 1:28 AM, Don Ward wrote:
    > Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro
    > Some of the programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take
    > 5-10 min for large files.
    > I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double processing
    > speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
    > Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
    > Im open to suggestions....
    > dward

    it sounds like you want a minimum of a dual-core CPU at 3.G or a little
    quicker, at least 4G of faster Ram, DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333 OR faster
    would be a good choice, SATA 2 harddrives, a 64bit operating system
    I use XP X64, a 64bit ready vid card just to help out the CPU loading
    I'd stay away from a 2 slot memory and 2 slot PCI buss mother board,
    that means 4 memory card slots, and 3 or more PCI slots since you also
    might want a sound card to plug into the motherboard.

    AND here be the go fast part, I do what you are saying you want to do,
    I use a software based Ramdrive utility, and there are several that work
    just fine with X64 if you do a search on the internet.
    COPY the file to the ram drive and then point your music editing
    software at that copy of the file, do what you want to it and then save
    your finished work, when all done, just move or copy it from the
    ramdrive to your harddrive. you will find most of the usable ramdrive
    utilities are flexable about the size of the ramdrive you set it to
    create. Most of the time my file work is fat-dumb-and-happy with a 512M
    ramdrive, on the odd times I want to work on really bigger files, then I
    reconfigure it for 1giggle and use that setup.

    My music editing software really loads and saves fast from ram, and when
    doing batch file processing it really seems to perk right along

    Good luck!

    Hp, Oct 22, 2010