Re: How to get a faster comp for audio editing ?????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:28:09 -0700, Don Ward wrote:

    > Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro Some of the
    > programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take 5-10 min for
    > large files.
    > I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double processing
    > speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
    > Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
    > Im open to suggestions....
    > dward

    Quad core AMD PhenomII 955 if you are looking for decent results on a
    budget. Intel i7 quad core if you have the money.

    Meat Plow, Oct 21, 2010

  2. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:35:45 -0500, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Meat Plow mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:28:09 -0700, Don Ward wrote:

    >>> Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro Some of the
    >>> programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take 5-10 min for
    >>> large files.
    >>> I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double
    >>> processing speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
    >>> Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
    >>> Im open to suggestions....
    >>> dward

    >> Quad core AMD PhenomII 955 if you are looking for decent results on a
    >> budget. Intel i7 quad core if you have the money.

    > I'll second that on the Phenom II quad. Definitely a lotta bang for the
    > buck. I just wish I had waited a couple of days before buying mine. Two
    > days after I got it, the price dropped $20.. :.p

    With editing raw avi and minus CUDA support, encoding the finished
    project to DVD on an AMD x64 3200 with CUDA took over two hours on a
    single pass 29.97 FPS 720x480 @ 3k FBR Dobly Digital 3.2.1 110 minute
    video. The same video on the PhenomII 955 took 20 minutes without CUDA.

    I would guess it would do equally well on audio. I haven't been doing
    much audio only but I have 24 track capabilities and all sorts of VST and
    DirectX filters and effects that can be run pre and post processing. I'll
    have a Sony Vegas audio project to mix down when its done sometime in
    November and I'll be able to compare then.

    Meat Plow, Oct 21, 2010