Re: How to get a faster comp for audio editing ?????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian Cryer, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Don Ward" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Evan Platt <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:28:09 -0700, Don Ward <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro
    >> >Some of the programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take
    >> >5-10 min for large files.
    >> >I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double processing
    >> >speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
    >> > Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
    >> >Im open to suggestions....

    >> Faster computer, more memory, and a less bloated operating system come
    >> to mind.
    >>
    >> IBM recently released a 5.2 ghz processor. That, 6 GB of memory and a
    >> linux based OS, and you'll cut that time in half, or probably more :)

    > All the programs i have run on XP will they run on a Linux OS ??
    > will adding more memory help... 4 gig is MB max

    No, your XP programs won't run on Linux. Linux has some advantages (and
    disadvantages) when compared with Windows. I wouldn't have thought that in
    your scenario a change of operating system would make much difference (other
    than the need for a new suite of applications).

    I suspect that doubling your RAM from 2GB to 4GB won't make much difference,
    but I could be wrong. There is a simple way of checking - whilst doing your
    "pitch shifting" on a large file, open up Task Manager (its one of the
    options if you do ctrl-alt-delete), look on the Performance tab at your
    memory usage. If its less than the amount of physical RAM you have then
    adding extra RAM won't make any difference. That said, this is only a guide
    as some things adjust their memory usage according to how much memory you
    have available. Task manager will also show you (look at the CPU usage)
    whether your bottleneck is your CPU. If its running at 90%-100% all the time
    then your CPU is your bottleneck and you need a faster one (which
    realistically means a new PC). If your CPU is running at say 50% utilisation
    (assuming single core), then its probably your disk interface which is the
    bottleneck - in which case buying a faster disk would help.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Oct 21, 2010

  2. Brian Cryer

    chuckcar Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <> wrote in

    > "Don Ward" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >>> Faster computer, more memory, and a less bloated operating system
    >>> come to mind.
    >>>
    >>> IBM recently released a 5.2 ghz processor. That, 6 GB of memory and
    >>> a linux based OS, and you'll cut that time in half, or probably more
    >>> :)

    >> All the programs i have run on XP will they run on a Linux OS ??
    >> will adding more memory help... 4 gig is MB max

    > No, your XP programs won't run on Linux.

    Not true at all. That's precisely what WINE is for.

    > Linux has some advantages
    > (and disadvantages) when compared with Windows. I wouldn't have
    > thought that in your scenario a change of operating system would make
    > much difference (other than the need for a new suite of applications).

    Sure it can. Compiling the kernel for the processor and hardware on the
    computer can make a world of difference. Along with that disabling all
    background tasks (aside from daemons which are called rather than
    continously run).

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 21, 2010

  3. On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:38:22 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >"Brian Cryer" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Don Ward" <> wrote in message

    >>> All the programs i have run on XP will they run on a Linux OS ??
    >>> will adding more memory help... 4 gig is MB max

    >> No, your XP programs won't run on Linux.

    >Not true at all. That's precisely what WINE is for.

    Yeah. Running audio editing software through an emulator should REALLY
    speed things up!

    Bwhahahahaha!
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 21, 2010
  4. Brian Cryer

    chuckcar Guest

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote in

    >>> No, your XP programs won't run on Linux.

    >>Not true at all. That's precisely what WINE is for.
    >>

    > Yeah. Running audio editing software through an emulator should REALLY
    > speed things up!
    >
    > Bwhahahahaha!

    Not that you have a clue - deli kid - but yes it *does* run faster
    than Microsoft's OS does.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 21, 2010
  5. Brian Cryer

    Tony Guest

    I don't know who BinaryBillTheSailor is. Chuck you and your free shit. What
    do you do carry around a piggy bank to the local dollar store to survive?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 22, 2010