Re: How to get a faster comp for audio editing ?????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian Cryer, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Don Ward" <> wrote in message
    > Im running a Pent4/2.4ghz, 2gigs of ram. Win xp pro
    > Some of the programs for equalization, pitch shifting take can take
    > 5-10 min for large files.
    > I want to build/buy more speed, what is best way to double processing
    > speed ? that is cut processing time in half.
    > Pent 4 max out around 3ghz thats not much to gain is it ?
    > Im open to suggestions....
    > dward

    Remember that its not just about clock speed. As a guide (YMMV) a newer
    generation of processor at a lower clock speed can typically do more than an
    older generation of processor at the same or higher clock speed. So whilst
    you should be looking at something much newer than a Pentium 4, don't look
    at the clock speed alone.

    Also, there are other factors than just the cpu speed. The speed of your
    disk and the type of interface can make a big difference. Most modern disks
    are SATA which is much faster than the PATA/IDE disks which you *probably*
    have in your PC. The faster the disk spins the faster data can be streamed
    to or from it. For a given RPM in general the larger the disk capacity the
    facter the disk is - because each "track" stores more and the tracks are
    closer together so less disk head movement.

    The number of CPU cores can make a big difference - but this depends on
    whether or not your software will take advantage of multiple cores. Likewise
    lots of RAM can help. Faster RAM must logically make a difference, but for
    many things I'm not sure how noticable this is.

    The simplest option is to buy a new PC (and avoid Windows Vista).
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Oct 21, 2010