Re: How to break out of a loop?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Roland de Ruiter, May 11, 2008.

  1. On 11-5-2008 9:17, Tony Raven wrote:
    > I am caught on a webpage that throws up an authorisation window for an
    > ftp link that requires a username and password. While that window is
    > open I cannot do anything with Firefox - change tabs, close them or even
    > close Firefox. If I click OK or Cancel or just close the box I get
    > instantaneously another Alert box saying "530 Sorry no ANONYMOUS access
    > allowed". While that box is open I still can't do anything with
    > Firefox. If I click Cancel or close the Alert box, the Authorisation
    > box instantaneously replaces it and I am back where I started. The only
    > way I have found out of it is to shut down Firefox from the Task Manager
    > but there must be another way out - isn't there? What I really would
    > like to do is shut down the one tab causing the problem but I can't.
    >
    > It opens without problems in IE7
    >
    > If you want to try it the offending web page is
    > http://www.leohostel.com/index_files/leotours.htm

    The page contains a couple of images (15 or so) hosted on an ftp site
    (<ftp://hd6010898.ourhost.cn/index_files/image763.gif>). Apparently
    these images can't be accessed without the proper username and password.
    A case of a badly designed and / or improperly tested web page.

    If your patient enough and close each of those dialogs (15 * 2) you will
    eventually "break out of the loop". You could use the Escape key to
    close a dialog window (at least a Windows OS); this is probably quicker
    than clicking on a button with your mouse.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

    Roland de Ruiter, May 11, 2008

  2. On 11-5-2008 13:03, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > On 11-5-2008 9:17, Tony Raven wrote:
    >> I am caught on a webpage that throws up an authorisation window for an
    >> ftp link that requires a username and password. While that window is
    >> open I cannot do anything with Firefox - change tabs, close them or
    >> even close Firefox. If I click OK or Cancel or just close the box I
    >> get instantaneously another Alert box saying "530 Sorry no ANONYMOUS
    >> access allowed". While that box is open I still can't do anything
    >> with Firefox. If I click Cancel or close the Alert box, the
    >> Authorisation box instantaneously replaces it and I am back where I
    >> started. The only way I have found out of it is to shut down Firefox
    >> from the Task Manager but there must be another way out - isn't
    >> there? What I really would like to do is shut down the one tab
    >> causing the problem but I can't.
    >>
    >> It opens without problems in IE7
    >>
    >> If you want to try it the offending web page is
    >> http://www.leohostel.com/index_files/leotours.htm
    >>

    > The page contains a couple of images (15 or so) hosted on an ftp site
    > (<ftp://hd6010898.ourhost.cn/index_files/image763.gif>). Apparently
    > these images can't be accessed without the proper username and password.
    > A case of a badly designed and / or improperly tested web page.
    >
    > If your patient enough

    s/your/you're/
    > and close each of those dialogs (15 * 2) you will
    > eventually "break out of the loop". You could use the Escape key to
    > close a dialog window (at least a Windows OS); this is probably quicker
    > than clicking on a button with your mouse.

    Ironically, on their front page, <http://www.leohostel.com/>, there's
    the following message:
    PAGE NOT LOADING FULLY? ASKED FOR A PASSWORD? YOU NEED TO VIEW THIS SITE
    WITH MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER... ;)

    Even in IE7 the page OP mentioned doesn't show up properly (red crosses
    indicating missing images).

    FWIW, I've reported the site with Firefox' Help > Report Broken Web
    Site... utility.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland