Re: How to be an upstream developer?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by PJ Lee, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. PJ Lee

    PJ Lee Guest

    Hello,

    By no way I am an upstream developer, afterall, I've only worked in the
    field for 6 years.
    But let me ask you a question? How do you expect to get to the top without
    hard work and commitment?
    "Practice makes perfect"; This is especially true in software development
    because no matter how many books you read, there will never be enough to
    substitute real life experience....
    Here's my story:
    when I was 21, I graduated from college and started working as a junior
    technician in a software development/Application service house. eventhough
    the primary focus of the business was software development, the software
    they were using in house were really crappy. and there were alot of manual
    processes which can be handled by software automation. I got myself noticed
    by the "big boys" after I wrote a hardware/software assets tracking program
    to assist my day to day work in the team. After 9 months (early 1998), one
    of the system admin left the company and I was promoted to System Admin and
    I got my MCSE 5 months later. By late 98, a software tester position became
    available, I was offered and accepted the position eventhough I had to take
    a pay cut for the "promotion".

    Since then, I've been through 3 fulltime jobs as well as 5+ contracts
    dealing with technologies varied from VB5,6, .net; ASP2;3 .net, java, jsp,
    and now C#.
    IMHO, If you really want to get to the top (which, like most of you, is
    where I'm aiming at), there are no shortcuts from real life experience,
    hardwork and commitment.

    I know you don't want to hear answers like "work hard, practice...etc....",
    but this is just my story.

    If anyone else can offer some insight to "How to get to the top without
    working hard...", I'm sure the group, including myself, will be really keen
    to hear about them.

    Regards,
    Pete

    PJ Lee, Jun 30, 2003

  2. PJ Lee

    Cherry Guest

    Nothing could be more true.
    There's no replacement for Hard work.
    and in this industry unlike lot of other streams, one has to be really
    always abreast of the latest. Keep abreast of the technology. Develop
    an interest in reading Technical stuff...
    From my personal experience, which now is 6 years in the industry, I
    have infered that only by keen interest in work complemented with
    performance and commitment, can take you places.

    Of course, don't Lose your Faith ever.... (That's my Mantra)
    Cherry...

    Cherry, Jul 2, 2003