Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, Jun 13, 2011.

  1. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message news:
    :
    > On Jun 11, 1:27 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > > wrote:

    > > How many lenses do you carry with you at any one time?  My
    > > usual maximum is the lens on the camera plus one other.

    > My usual minimum is one on the camera plus two more.
    >
    > If I'm taking the D700 kit, I ALWAYS take the 24-70/2.8 and the
    > 70-200/2.8.
    > Then, depending on what I'm doing (and it gets worse fast if I'm doing
    > range of things), I'll add the Sigma 120-400/5.6, the Nikkor 85/1.8,
    > the
    > Sigma 105/2.8 macro, the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame).
    >
    > Sometimes I'll add a few of the low-use lenses I've got, too.

    Yikes! ;-)
    For trips back in the days of slide film (ahem! ;-), I would
    fit a Nikon FA body with folding steadying handle and 16mm
    f3.5 fisheye, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 85mm f2 compact MF
    lenses plus about 25 rolls of film in a small case that fit
    under a plane seat... That was last done in 2006, after which
    I used a Sony 707 with an excellent permanently attached zoom
    lens. Now I use a video camera that produces exceedingly sharp
    video images...;-)
    --DR

    David Ruether, Jun 13, 2011

  2. On Jun 13, 2:28 pm, "David Ruether" <> wrote:
    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message news:
    >
    > :
    >
    > > On Jun 11, 1:27 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > > > wrote:
    > > > How many lenses do you carry with you at any one time? My
    > > > usual maximum is the lens on the camera plus one other.

    > > My usual minimum is one on the camera plus two more.

    > > If I'm taking the D700 kit, I ALWAYS take the 24-70/2.8 and the
    > > 70-200/2.8.
    > > Then, depending on what I'm doing (and it gets worse fast if I'm doing
    > > range of things), I'll add the Sigma 120-400/5.6, the Nikkor 85/1.8,
    > > the
    > > Sigma 105/2.8 macro, the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame).

    > > Sometimes I'll add a few of the low-use lenses I've got, too.

    > Yikes! ;-)
    > For trips back in the days of slide film (ahem! ;-), I would
    > fit a Nikon FA body with folding steadying handle and 16mm
    > f3.5 fisheye, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 85mm f2 compact MF
    > lenses plus about 25 rolls of film in a small case that fit
    > under a plane seat... That was last done in 2006, after which
    > I used a Sony 707 with an excellent permanently attached zoom
    > lens. Now I use a video camera that produces exceedingly sharp
    > video images...;-)

    It's too much sometimes, certainly. I'm getting older. On the other
    hand, that's why I need AF so much more now, too.

    I used to travel with at least two film bodies that took the same
    lenses (an FM and an FM2, or two OM-4Ts, or an FM2 and an N90).
    Amount of film varied very much by the length of the trip. When we
    spent 6 weeks in England in 1987, I took quite a bit of film. Bricks
    of
    K25, various E-6 and B&W films that I'd bulk-loaded, and so forth,
    all neatly packed in a cooler (helped them survive in car trunks,
    too). A busy day in an interesting medieval city, or at an SF
    convention :), could burn 10 rolls of film fairly easily.

    I've only gotten worse since digital, in terms of shooting heavily.
    I keep trying things, keep working the scene, try unusual things
    I never would have wasted money or time on in film -- now I'm
    wasting time on them, as likely as not, still; but sometimes
    something works.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 13, 2011