Re: How many B channels in isdn basic-net3 switch type?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thomas Voigt, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Thomas Voigt

    Thomas Voigt Guest

    Hi!

    (Mark K Hall) wrote:

    >I am configuring an ISDN line between the US and Costa Rica. Switch type
    >on my end is basic-ni and Costa Rica has basic-net3. I have two numbers
    >associated with the US side, one for each B channel. I only have one for
    >Costa Rica. Their phone company is useless as far as technical
    >details. What I need to know is if basic-net3 is capable of two B
    >channels for data? If so, how do I go about configuring that?

    I don't know, how it is in Costa Rica, but here in Germany we are also
    using basic-net3 switch types.

    Basic-net3 can handle 2 B channels and of course channel bundling.
    But here is no direct connection between the number and a B channel.
    The channels are dynamically assigned to each call. So we need at
    least 1 number to access both B channels. More numbers are available,
    but useless if we use the line only for data calls.

    So make a call from the US side with channel bundling and you will get
    a connection with 2 B channels. But I don't know, how to deal with
    that, if you call in the other direction.

    --
    Greetings from Weimar / Germany

    Thomas Voigt
    Thomas Voigt, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Thomas Voigt

    Mark K Hall Guest

    Thanks for the response. Do you have an example of bundling
    commands? The only thing I have found is bundling for ISDN PRI and T1
    timeslots.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Thomas Voigt () wrote:
    : Hi!

    : (Mark K Hall) wrote:

[...]

    : --

    Mark K Hall, Jul 8, 2003

  3. g'day,

    this is a very simple excersice, you dial one number and bring up both
    b channels, use, ppp multilink and dialer threshold 1 where "1" is the
    bandwidth the second channel should come up at.

    here is an example complements of cisco

    Legacy DDR
    This section addresses how to configure Multilink PPP using Legacy DDR
    (rotary-group and dialer maps).

    Method 1: Only One Physical Interface - ex. ISDN
    Because ISDN interfaces are considered to be "Dialer" interfaces, few
    commands are required to make an ISDN interface capable of making MPPP
    connections. For example, it is not necessary to configure a dialer
    rotary group unless you are using more than one BRI or PRI.

    Following is an example of a BRI configured to make a simple
    dial-on-demand PPP connection:

    !
    interface BRI0
    ip address 192.168.12.3 255.255.255.240
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer map IP 192.168.12.1 name ROUTER1 5554321
    dialer-group 1
    ppp authentication chap
    isdn spid1 40855512120000 5551212
    isdn spid2 40855512340000 5551234
    !
    Only two commands must be added to this interface's configuration to
    make MPPP possible. The router at the other end of the call must be
    similarly configured. These two commands are:

    ppp multilink
    dialer load-threshold load [outbound | inbound | either]

    Regards
    Mike

    Michael Hatzis, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Thomas Voigt