Re: How long can I wait to install the new upgrade CD?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Joe Swart [MSFT], May 11, 2005.

  1. Answers in-line:
    Will my original 32 bit version license still remain active?
    <joe> No, once you go through the website your 32bit version is on the list
    to be disabled regardless if you install the 64bit or not.

    Latter on (say 6 months down the line) will my Full upgrade CD I received
    (that I had not installed yet) still be good to install and activate at that
    time (and de-activate my 32 bit version)?

    <joe> Yes the x64 product can be installed and activated at any time,
    however your 32bit version will be flagged and the activation related to it
    will be disabled within a time period of entering it on the Technology
    Advancement Program. (And no it won't be before you receive the x64 product.
    J)

    <joe> Just to clarify, this is not an "Upgrade" program it's an exchange
    program you are giving up your 32bit version for 64bit. To stay legal what
    should happen is once you receive the new x64 product you should delete the
    32bit version even if you're not planning on installing the x64 product.

    --
    -Joe Swart [MSFT]

    Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these
    newsgroups.

    "John Long - KW7A" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > But you seem to be answering someone elses questions.
    >
    > Here I will ask again....
    > 1. I install the Trial version.
    > 2. I run the Trial for 3 weeks.
    > 3. I then decide I don't want to install the Full Upgrade at that

    time.

    > So....
    >
    > Will my original 32 bit version license still remain active?
    > Latter on (say 6 months down the line) will my Full upgrade CD I received
    > (that I had not installed yet) still be good to install and activate at

    that
    > time (and de-activate my 32 bit version)?
    >

    > Thanks again,
    > John
    >

    > "MHPNW STAFF" <> wrote in message
    > > John,
    > >
    > > I believe that once you install the "Upgrade", and by that I am assuming

    > you
    > > mean the product you receive through the Windows Exchange program, you

    > will
    > > no longer be able to go back. Your 32 bit XP will be invalid as soon as

    > you
    > > activate the new copy...( you still should have the 30 days until you

    > have
    > > to activate)
    > > You would be better off installing the trial copy..If you unsure .
    > >
    > > Dennis
    > > "John Long - KW7A" <> wrote in message
    > > > Let me re-phase this:
    > > >
    > > > What if I order the Full upgrade, and receive the trial.
    > > > Then I install the Trial and use it for say 1 month and then decide I
    > > > don't
    > > > want to switch to the 64 version at that time .
    > > >
    > > > 1. Will my original 32 bit license still be ok (I have not

    installed

    Joe Swart [MSFT], May 11, 2005

  2. Joe Swart [MSFT]

    James Park Guest

    What about those who use the Dell program? Are they allowed to roll back or
    is their FAQ mistaken?
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...n/document?dn=1092409&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=#sq5

    James Park, May 12, 2005