Re: How get rid of whilte background?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, May 1, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | The Gimp UI still has problems. One thing that was very annoying was
    | that the main window would not stay the same size. It kept resizing
    | itself so that it was partially off the screen.

    I've noticed the same thing. It won't even resize
    from the top in normal size, so I can shrink the width
    but not the height. That kind of thing really is
    unforgiveable in such an old program. I remember one
    version of GIMP where, if one opened a menu and
    then didn't click something, the menu would stay open.
    I find the only way the current version is usable is
    with a maximized window.

    Have you considered Corel products? They're very
    reasonably priced, between about $50 and $80. And
    they're always "on sale". Aftershot Pro seems very good,
    though it doesn't have much in the way of basic
    graphic editor functions. It's just for RAW. I mainly use
    an old version of PSP (v. 5) which I like very much. It
    does most of what I need in a very simple layout. (You
    might even be able to find a free copy on the install disk of
    a 10-year-old modem. :) At the time PSP 5 and PS 5 were
    both out, and PSP was being made by Jasc, they were
    very similar, except that PSP5 was 1/6 the price of PS5.
    The only advantage PS5 had was some custom filters
    that were hard to get working in PSP.
    The current PSP version is even cheaper that PSP5, but
    I don't know anything about the layout. I'm guessing it's
    annoyingly overproduced. The webpage mainly lists lots
    of automated gimmicks like one-click red-eye fixing. But
    it should at least have all the basic tools you're lacking.

    I know a professional artist/illustrator who often works
    from photos and only uses Corel Draw. But I don't know
    anything about that program myself.

    Given the selection of software you have now it might
    be worth trying out one or more of the Corel trial versions.

    Mayayana, May 1, 2013

  2. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Jennifer
    Murphy <> wrote:

    > > Given the selection of software you have now it might
    > >be worth trying out one or more of the Corel trial versions.

    > Yes, I am debating between Elements and Lightroom. I'm leaning toward
    > Lightroom.

    stick with adobe. they are $30 off from adobe through mother's day, as
    well as premiere elements (which is for video).

    <http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/04/30/app.based.messaging.overt
    akes.sms.texting.for.first.time.ever/>

    also keep in mind lightroom 5 beta is out, which is free and expires in
    june. that means lightroom 5 is coming soon and if you buy lightroom 4
    now, you may need to pay for an upgrade to 5 (or you might not, they
    haven't said). lightroom 4 is certainly very capable, but it's
    something to consider.

    nospam, May 1, 2013

  3. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/1/2013 11:09 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 May 2013 08:31:30 -0400, "Mayayana" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> | The Gimp UI still has problems. One thing that was very annoying was
    >> | that the main window would not stay the same size. It kept resizing
    >> | itself so that it was partially off the screen.
    >>
    >> I've noticed the same thing. It won't even resize
    >>from the top in normal size, so I can shrink the width
    >> but not the height. That kind of thing really is
    >> unforgiveable in such an old program. I remember one
    >> version of GIMP where, if one opened a menu and
    >> then didn't click something, the menu would stay open.
    >> I find the only way the current version is usable is
    >> with a maximized window.
    >>
    >> Have you considered Corel products? They're very
    >> reasonably priced, between about $50 and $80. And
    >> they're always "on sale". Aftershot Pro seems very good,
    >> though it doesn't have much in the way of basic
    >> graphic editor functions. It's just for RAW. I mainly use
    >> an old version of PSP (v. 5) which I like very much. It
    >> does most of what I need in a very simple layout. (You
    >> might even be able to find a free copy on the install disk of
    >> a 10-year-old modem. :) At the time PSP 5 and PS 5 were
    >> both out, and PSP was being made by Jasc, they were
    >> very similar, except that PSP5 was 1/6 the price of PS5.
    >> The only advantage PS5 had was some custom filters
    >> that were hard to get working in PSP.
    >> The current PSP version is even cheaper that PSP5, but
    >> I don't know anything about the layout. I'm guessing it's
    >> annoyingly overproduced. The webpage mainly lists lots
    >> of automated gimmicks like one-click red-eye fixing. But
    >> it should at least have all the basic tools you're lacking.
    >>
    >> I know a professional artist/illustrator who often works
    >>from photos and only uses Corel Draw. But I don't know
    >> anything about that program myself.
    >>
    >> Given the selection of software you have now it might
    >> be worth trying out one or more of the Corel trial versions.

    > Yes, I am debating between Elements and Lightroom. I'm leaning toward
    > Lightroom.

    The key is what type of editing do you plan, and which do yo think will
    be best for your intended use.
    LR is also vefry good for cataloging.
    Elements is a decent photo editor that comes with Adobe Camera Raw.
    (ACR) When it comes to photo editing, called development in LR, the
    functionality in both LR and ACR is identical. LR has some additional
    features, and you have to decide for yourself if you will use them.

    Here are two links that contain useful information:
    <http://photo-manager-software-review.toptenreviews.com/adobe-lightroom-vs.-photoshop-elements.html>

    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY6fWUciWFk>
    There are other on topic videos on Youtube.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 1, 2013