Re: How get rid of whilte background?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Martin Brown, May 1, 2013.

  1. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 01/05/2013 02:32, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > I have a crossword puzzle image from a puzzle-making website. I have
    > saved it as a jpg and as a png file.
    >
    > jpg: http://tinypic.com/r/357ni1t/5
    >
    > png: http://tinypic.com/r/339n5vb/5
    >
    > I would like to edit it to remove the white background so I can paste it
    > over another image and have the puzzle visible on top of the other image
    > but with the underlying image showing through where the white space was.
    >
    > Is there a way to do that with anything less expensive than PhotoShop?
    > (I assume PS can do it.)
    >
    > On this page:
    >
    > http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/J7c_-E8NeBU
    >
    > Someone posted instructions for doing this in IrfanView, but I couldn;pt
    > get it to work.

    Save as .PNG (or .GIF) with extended settings option and then set the
    colour you want to be transparent in extended dialogue.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, May 1, 2013

  2. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 01/05/2013 21:57, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 May 2013 08:43:46 +0100, Martin Brown
    > <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> On 01/05/2013 02:32, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    >>> I have a crossword puzzle image from a puzzle-making website. I have
    >>> saved it as a jpg and as a png file.
    >>>
    >>> jpg: http://tinypic.com/r/357ni1t/5
    >>>
    >>> png: http://tinypic.com/r/339n5vb/5
    >>>
    >>> I would like to edit it to remove the white background so I can paste it
    >>> over another image and have the puzzle visible on top of the other image
    >>> but with the underlying image showing through where the white space was.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to do that with anything less expensive than PhotoShop?
    >>> (I assume PS can do it.)
    >>>
    >>> On this page:
    >>>
    >>> http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/J7c_-E8NeBU
    >>>
    >>> Someone posted instructions for doing this in IrfanView, but I couldn;pt
    >>> get it to work.

    >> Save as .PNG (or .GIF) with extended settings option and then set the
    >> colour you want to be transparent in extended dialogue.

    > Wow, that worked. Thanks so much.
    >
    > Interestingly, the original (png) file is 15KB. The Gif is 14KB. The Png
    > is 1,003KB.

    The original was 24bit colour and the saved with transparency one has
    been palletised to probably 256 colours or less. It doesn't always
    result in a space saving depending on the nature of the image but
    usually does.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown