Re: How get rid of whilte background?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, May 1, 2013.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Jennifer
    Murphy <> wrote:

    > I have a crossword puzzle image from a puzzle-making website. I have
    > saved it as a jpg and as a png file.
    >
    > jpg: http://tinypic.com/r/357ni1t/5
    >
    > png: http://tinypic.com/r/339n5vb/5
    >
    > I would like to edit it to remove the white background so I can paste it
    > over another image and have the puzzle visible on top of the other image
    > but with the underlying image showing through where the white space was.

    select the white area and delete it, leaving the area transparent. then
    composite it over whatever you want. another way is use layer masks.

    > Is there a way to do that with anything less expensive than PhotoShop?
    > (I assume PS can do it.)

    there probably is.

    > On this page:
    >
    > http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/J7c_-E8NeBU
    >
    > Someone posted instructions for doing this in IrfanView, but I couldn;pt
    > get it to work.

    that's another way.

    > I have been meaning to buy either Elements of Lightroom. Can they do it?

    elements can.

    > I realize that this is really not a photography question, but you guys
    > are so good at image editing and I didn;t know where else to ask.

    it's the same technique as compositing a person onto a different
    background, except much easier since the edges are well defined b/w
    lines. it's *very* easy to select the 'background' area.

    people and trees don't have straight b/w edges and getting the masking
    right can be tricky, although it's much easier now than before since
    the apps can figure out the edges for you, rather than do it the hard
    way (although some people will still do it the hard way).
    nospam, May 1, 2013