Re: How fast should CPU cool down?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by §ñühwø£f, Oct 4, 2009.

  1. On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 06:49:12 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > wrote on 03-Oct-09 21:23 ...
    >> I've been dealing with a screaming loud CPU fan on my Intel P4 3.2Ghz heat
    >> sink/cooling fan. I've noticed the past couple of nights, that once it gets
    >> annoyingly loud, if I open the case by taking one side off, and not even
    >> completely off, just crack it a few inches, the fan almost immediately starts to
    >> slow down to a tolerable decible level. So I have to wonder how fast the CPU
    >> cools off once the outside air is allowed into the case.

    > it probably isn't the CPU that's cooling, it's more likely a thermistor
    > that senses a temperature change when you open the case. and if that is
    > true, you should look for possible airflow obstruction to the heat sink.
    >
    >>In fact, as I was
    >> typing this, I just removed the case side away from the case altogether and the
    >> fan immediately slowed down some more. How sensitive are these things? My case
    >> has one 60mm fan in the rear, about two inches from the CPU fan, blowing out.
    >> There may be a fan in the front of the case, but the way it's built, with a
    >> lighted digital panel which displays time and temperature on the front of the
    >> case, I really can't see if there's a fan there or not. With no other spots I
    >> can put a fan in the case, what can I do to lower the noise the CPU fan is
    >> making? Thanks.

    > buy a new one -- the fan bearing is shot.

    Because a new fan is cheaper than a drop of machine oil, sure.

    OPey should install "SpeedFan" proggy so he can tweak his fan...among
    other things I'm sure!

    ^_^

    http://ltsaloon.org
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühwø£f, Oct 4, 2009

  2. On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 05:29:23 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > §ñühwø£f wrote on 04-Oct-09 08:08 ...
    >> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 06:49:12 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:
    >>
    >>> wrote on 03-Oct-09 21:23 ...
    >>> it probably isn't the CPU that's cooling, it's more likely a thermistor
    >>> that senses a temperature change when you open the case. and if that is
    >>> true, you should look for possible airflow obstruction to the heat sink.

    >>> buy a new one -- the fan bearing is shot.

    >> Because a new fan is cheaper than a drop of machine oil, sure.

    > Yeah, and then the bearing dries-out again in a few weeks. Not saying
    > the OP can't try that, but it's hardly worth the bother.

    If it solves the problem then a dab of grease is in order.

    §ñühwø£f, Oct 5, 2009

  3. On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:28:54 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > §ñühwø£f wrote on 05-Oct-09 07:27 ...
    >> On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 05:29:23 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:
    >>
    >>> §ñühwø£f wrote on 04-Oct-09 08:08 ...

    >>> Yeah, and then the bearing dries-out again in a few weeks. Not saying
    >>> the OP can't try that, but it's hardly worth the bother.
    >>>

    >> If it solves the problem then a dab of grease is in order.

    > pffft... find the 'O' switch, change its state from "n" to "ff'.

    No.

    ^_^

    §ñühwø£f, Oct 5, 2009