Re: How does whole-disk encryption work?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by noauth, Feb 4, 2010.

  1. noauth

    noauth Guest

    On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:44:27 -0500, T Pagano <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 16:11:03 +0100 (CET), noauth
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to use TrueCrypt, but I am unable to make a Bart PE rescue
    >>disk. Too many errors and too complicated. I hardly understand the
    >>instructions.
    >>
    >>Somewhere I heard that the Acronis Rescue Disk would suffice in the
    >>event something went south with my system on an encrypted TrueCrypt
    >>disk. Is this correct?
    >>
    >>I'm using XP Pro with SP3, which is totally up to date with MS >>updates.
    >>
    >>I certainly don't want to risk encrypting my drive without a rescue disk.
    >>
    >>Any TrueCrypt users in here who might know the answer?

    >I'm not sure what help the Acronis Rescue Disk would be if the
    >encrypted hard drive won't, for example, boot. Acronis has no means
    >of decrypting any "working" portion of the file structure.
    >
    >If you were to create an image of your TrueCrypt encrypted hard drive
    >while it is stable and working with Acronis then you could use the
    >Acronis Rescue Disk to copy the good image over one that may have gone
    >bad. Making an image of an encrypted hard drive requires that you
    >use the sector-by-sector method WITHOUT compression. Any compression
    >on an encrypted image makes the image worthless.
    >
    >This is farily straight forward with Acronis. Obviously this requires
    >a back up media at least as large as the computer hard disk.
    >
    >Then if your encrypted hard drive stops working you can use the
    >Acronis rescue disk with the backup image to recover to a working
    >system. This requires that you make images at regular intervals so
    >that recovering from a bad system brings you back to a system that is
    >not too old.
    >
    >Regards,

    That is what I thought I had read awhile back in one of the forums
    dealing with the subject. I just wanted to make sure I was
    understanding it correctly.

    Now, a few more questions:

    1. What exactly does "sector-by-sector" mean? If I save the image
    without any compression, will that accomplish this "sector-by-sector" save?

    2. When I make my normal incremental saves with Acronis, it uses a
    separate partition it creates called the 'Secure Zone' on the C: drive.
    It does not 'image' the *entire* drive, only the system and the file
    data. Now, I take it that TrueCrypt encrypts the *entire* C: drive,
    even if half the drive space is empty. Therefore, if I have a 500Gb
    drive, I must have the backup at least as large as the C: drive. Do I
    have this correct?

    3. I have four outboard USB connected hard drives. If I add another
    drive the size of the present C: drive - USB connected, will that be
    okay to use for saving the Acronis image of the C: TrueCrypt drive?

    Thank you for answering. All this is a bit over my head, but if my above
    assumptions are true, I guess I will give it a go.

    Thanks again. Your answering is much appreciated.
    noauth, Feb 4, 2010